Does anxiety cause body pains and shallow breathing??

Posted , 7 users are following.

For the past 2 weeks ive been having pains all over my body (pressure in my chest mostl) and my breathing has been shallow! Im having health anxiety over it thinking it s a heart attack or something! Sometimes the pains go away if i dont think about it or im doing something.

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Yep that's the anxiety! I went through a phase a few weeks back of having chest pressure and shallow breathing. It was horrible! Also aches and pains in my back, chest, arms and neck. But as you say, when you're doing something and take your mind off of it, it goes away. So definitely sounds like anxiety. I suffer with health anxiety also.
    • Posted

How did you get rid of it? Bc im constantly anxious and thinking about it so it never really goes away. sad
    • Posted

After a while I just stopped obsessing over it and it soon went. Right now you're thinking you won't be able to stop thinking about it. But one morning you will wake up and think oh my breathing feels a little better today then the day after The aches pains and pressure will start to wear off and you just forget about it. With me though I go from obsessing over one Thing to focusing on another thing I think is wrong. But that's Heath anxiety for ya.
    • Posted

True! Thanks for your input, its nice to know someone else went through the same thing im going through. smile
  • Posted

I also get similar symptoms I get pain in my neck, back, arms and legs, muscle tension everywhere with twitching and a feeling of prickly shocks all over! I have been told it's anxiety but it feels so so real! I struggle to sleep as it's worse at night and feel like something bad is going to happen to me!
    • Posted

Omg! And i also have sweaty palms and feet? Is that part of it too? Its so hard for me to believe it is anxiety because like you said the symtpons feel so real! And im scared to sleep at night also its horrible
    • Posted

Yes it is hun I also get that to! I have suffered with anxiety for 11 years now and it is awful!
    • Posted

Youve been dealing with these aches and pains for 11 years?? Have you gone to the doctor for it? Bc i cant imagine feeling that this for 11 years! (Sorry if im getting too personal rolleyes)
    • Posted

I am worried about my sister....shes been diagnosed with anxiety disorder...her attacks are like a small stroke...she cant breath,her hands curl up and she cant move them,her face droops on one side only...If its anxiety the left sided weakness must be form the shallow breathing and its causing lack of oxygen to her muscles I forget what thats called maybe hyper ventilating?..but why only one sided?It looks like small strokes like TIA'S...does anybody here have this kind of anxiety?Thanks for any help ...she takes ativan.
    • Posted

No I have had anxiety for 11 years now the pains have only come on in the last year or so! I have been to the doctors numerous times but they just tell me to take diazepam for my muscles and I am having Cbt at the moment to.
    • Posted

Does the medicine actually work? Ive recently been put on celexa and it takes about 2 weeks to actually start working hopefully it will take care of my anxiety as well as my body pains.
    • Posted

Have her see a doctor! The drooping in her face is like Bell's palsy related it happened to my mom when she was going through major depression. Have her go into dr or ER just to be checked out and make sure it's nothing major really going on because the face drooping could mean there's an underlying issue! Let me know how it goes!
  • Posted

Hi Llm8991 I have the same thing as you I always think that to I get pains in my chest in my my stomach ingle overwhelmed

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.