Does anxiety produce seizure like symptoms?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Can anyone advise? I have just read on another forum of this gentleman who as diagnosed with partial seizures at the age of 42 after complaining of similar problems to mine. I have been to see a neurologist who has pretty much ruled this out but how often are people misdiagnosed as in the case of this other gentleman on the epilepsy forum. 

I keep getting so many flashbacks of old memories going round my head, intense deja vu, intense fear and visual changes and warmth through my body with a rising feeling in stomach. 

Can anxiety really cause all the above symptoms and how?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes anxiety creates all these problems and more.  As to the how, a psychiatrist or other brain chemistry expert could tell you - outside of that, its too complex a condition for anyone here to give you any kind of truthful response
  • Posted

Oh Jonathan I am really worried about you.You have been to a neurologist and they have ruled out seizures.No one can reassure you as you are not able to take on board what other people with the same symptoms as you are saying.You are in a vicious cycle and you really need to get help from a professional.
    • Posted

Marleen your right but these symptoms I get seem so much stranger than normal anxiety where you feel chest pain. shortness of breath etc... Also they have gone worse and more frequent that I have read on epilepsy forums that left untreated things can go worse and progress into larger seizures which I am sure which is going on right now with me. 
    • Posted

The mind is very powerful and can produce any symptom in any part of the body especially if you are fixated on that area.The problem is that you are not willing to accept any diagnosis from a neurologist and that tells me you are in crisis.Fear has taken over completely and there is absolutely no rationality there so that really has to be addressed
    • Posted

I understand Marleen and yes the fear has taken over me but when you read things on genuine sites like "This can last for a few seconds or a few minutes. This could make your arm shake without you wanting it to, it could make things around you look, or sound strange to you for just a moment, it might even make you stop and stare for a few seconds". 

This is what happens to me Marleen. I keep getting weird flashes come over me where my vision goes darker and the panic sets in and I get cold flashes before it disappears within seconds 

• Posted

Thats adrenaline surges, which is what happens with anxiety, it can cause no end of strange feelings. Marleen is right, when you become obsessed with physical symptoms and general health worries (health anxiety), it simply will get worse until the root cause of the anxiety is addressed.  Its not a simple thing to do, but for the professionals its simple to recognise.  looking for reassurance as youve found is absolutley no help at all, because you dont accept it and try to disprove it, which leads you round and round in circles
    • Posted

HI Jmcg you say adrenaline surges but is it normal for your vision to go darker and things feel dreamlike and then you start to get pressure over head and eyes with cold flashes running through the body? 
    • Posted

Yes its normal, the dreamlike feeling is depersonalisation/derealisation and is very common with anxiety.  The rest yes is all very standard with anxiety and panic attacks
  • Posted

Hi Jonathan

I replied to the comments you asked me on the other post you made a few days ago.

I had an attack tonight i explain it in the other post

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.