Does any adults experience nervous tics?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had nervous tics since I was very young. I'm now almost 60 years old & still have tics. They are only calmed by taking Clonazapam.

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Tics and some have mild tourettes. It not uncommon. If all of a sudden you get a tic or what have you then you need to look at your medications and let your doctor know. Its good the meds calms the tic down that would make me think yours are from anxiety or a spastic muscle from anxiety.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. I've researched Tourette's, often wondering if that is my problem. There doesn't seem to be any neurological tests to confirm or deny it though. My doctors have relied on my symptoms & diagnosed me w/GAD. The Clonazapam has been the only med that seems to calm the tics. It's been a life long struggle though, ridiculed as a child & self conscious now as an adult. So I limit my social time to short visits. Long term stimulation makes the tics even worse. I wish someone knew more about, what I have referred to as a movement disorder, & could share any info they know.

• Posted

I was having horrible anxiety attacks and Ativan didn't help. My Dr switched me to Clonaxepam and it has been wonderful. I am taking less doses and feel so much better.

• Posted

Does it matter? It doesnt. It is what it is. Honestly with or without a label you have had it a very ling time. The meds calms it down you are fortunate. This really is a lot more common then you realize. I would also say for you to add magnessium rich food and potassium rich foods to your diet. They actually have a few protocols online for diets and tics as well as diet with tourettes. Maybe it would be interesting for you to take a peak. Thats about as far as i would be concerned. The other meds they use for this out weigh the issue in side effects. So you have something thats working be happy. 
  • Posted

Yes I can see why that med would calm down your tic's. Have you ever taken a daily antidepressant.to see if that works. Just curious

• Posted

Ithink anxiety does cause temp tics cause I've never had anything like that ever and I don't have tourettes I have a cousin that does have that though and she has tics constantly. But I have developed a paranoia tic like if I have paranoia hit me I automatically kinda shake my head while trying to swallow when paranoia takes over i try to fight it off It's horrible. With tourettes it's a constant thing not just every once in awhile a tic will hit you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.