Does any hyopthyroid sufferers manage to keep their weight under control

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been hypothyroid for 12 years and have gained 5stone. I don't think the synthetic tablets are helping where weight is concerned. Has anybody tried raw thyroid treatment?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I do not think, personally, that the synthetic thyroxine works. I think that the thyroid is so critical to all your systems that the only thing that works is real thyroxine!! I take NDT (natural desiccated thyroxine) as the synthetic stuff just did nothing.
  • Posted

P S I also think that because the T4 that doctors dish out is synthetic then the body ignores it as useless!! Apart from it makes you fat!!
  • Posted

Thanks for replying glynisrose.

Where do you get NDT from? I have just started taking Raw Thyroid in the last 3

days because I read that until the 60s raw thyroid was used. Then the greedy Lab

Technicians came up with the synthetic version, so now the govenrment won't allow us the natural version.

Obesity is supposed to be a big problem in UK but probably half the so called obese are thyroid sufferers!

• Posted

The main problem, as I see it is the dumping of industrial waste in our water (sanctioned) our water is fluorided which has been known for decades to deprive the body of iodine and therefore damage the thyroid.
  • Posted

I (luckily) get my NDT prescribed by an endocrinologist but he has been told not to put any new patients on it because of the cost! As if we are cheap when it comes to other prescriptions!! But that is what the big pharmaceutical companies want, to get the NHS to buy as many of their products as possible, its all about money, with GP's getting a huge chunk of it!!
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with an UAT about four years ago and was prescribed the usual.. Synthetic tablets.. I have never managed to get the old me back and I have increased in weight by three stone!! Which is enough to cause depression when you try everything to prevent weight increase.

I have been to see a consultant and have done endless research on obtaining desiccated pig thyroid which so many more people have benefited taking instead of a synthetic drug which the body finds difficult to absorb.. There is proof that the natural pig thyroid works better yet you cannot buy it even in the states or Canada now because of having to obtain a prescription.

My feeling is that pharmaceutical companies and the governments have not considered the people that natter most and are far too busy making too much money!

What is the answer ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.