Does any of this sound familiar?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone, first time on any sort of forum like this and I'm wondering if what I'm going through might ring any bells?! Basically I've always been a worrier and I've made myself ill over the years because of it. I worry about my kids, I worry about things I can do nothing about and last but not least I worry about my health. A couple of years ago I got myself in to a right state thinking I was going to have a heart attack, but my doctor told me I was fine and in time it rightly passed. Since then I've been pretty much ok, that is up until about three months ago. I developed a nasty metallic taste in my mouth that stats pretty much constantly, it sometimes burns - lips tongue and roof of my mouth and other times just affects my taste, but it's always there. To add to that I've had upper abdominal pains, they come and go but I get them every day without fail. What's more I have had a very dry throat and cough and soreness in the throat that comes and goes from one day to the next, definitely not a virus of any kind. All of this only bothers me during the day, never at night. I always sleep really well. Also it doesn't seem to get any better if I eat more sensibly, although I've only been being good for a week or so. I'm 36 years old, male, maybe 13 pounds or so overweight (I'm 6'2" and 210 pounds) if anyone has any comments they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading. Mark.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

All the symptoms you describe could well be due to reflux and/or excess acid.

Read the free book / website www DownWithAcid org uk to get a better understanding.

Suspected heart symptoms? - Acid refluxing can mimic all those symptoms.

Metallic taste? - from reflux of acid and/or bile.

Burning tongue? - acid refluxing.

Abdominal pains? - excess acid.

Dry throat? - reflux

Cough and sore throat? - extra-oesophageal reflux.

It's all in the book and more. You may find other symptoms described you hadn't associated previously - Plus ways of managing the condition.

• Posted

So sorry to hear about your discomfort. You sound very much like myself. I have a terrible anxiety problem and 3 years ago had all your symptoms and was found to have stomach ulcers and gastritis. This was diagnosed with an endoscopy and 6 weeks worth of ompeprazole and I healed. My ulcers have never come back but I do still get terrible bouts of chest pain, acid in throat, cough etc. Gaviscon is good to form a barrier to stop the acid escaping and you may want to get prescribed a ppi . Even when I eat well, it can takes weeks to feel better. Some of the strangest things can start off my acid/pain. ..icy water be the weirdest. What works for one doesn't always work for another, so you might need to persevere with meds and food until you feel better. Tackling stress will be a good start. But easier said than done 😣

• Posted

I'm certain my stress levels don't help me, but as this is all so sudden I really don't know what has brought it on. All I do know is it's pretty horrible how I feel right now. Thank you for your advice, it was good of you to help me.

• Posted

My symptoms came out of nowhere initially. That's when after 9 months of suffering they agreed to the endoscopy. I will be fine now for months but at certain times of high stress, boom, it's back. I can never predict an attack 😣. I can eat and drink what I want for months and nothing sets it off, but ironically I may eat healthy and I get pain etc. I am a mystery to medicine apparently!

• Posted

That's interesting, what symptoms do you have specifically? I'm starting to feel like I might be able to control these things psychologically and then bang, I feel terrible again. For instance today I woke up feeling not too bad, had a good nights sleep. I did have the sour taste in my mouth but no other pains or discomfort. I ate granola with natural yoghurt for breakfast and drank no coffee, only water. Right now it's nearly midday and my mouth still feels uncomfortable and I'm sure I can smell my own breath, it's like it's I've eaten a load of pineapple or something. My upper abdomen pain has come and gone all morning but I've had no stomach upset which is some good news.

• Posted

Hi, my typical symptoms are nagging and/or crushing pain in the centre of my chest which feels like somebody is squeezing me around my middle. A sour taste in my mouth and sometimes a little nauseous but NEVER been sick. I can generally eat and drink anything and the pain is not affected...just lingers. It does usually make me want to burp alot. I also get an aching feeling in my left ribs around the stomach area. I have never narrowed it down to a specific food, but whilst an attack is going on, then anything and everything keeps it going but nothing stops it! Not even starving helps! I need to take a ppi for at least a month, then things seem to calm down for a while until the next attack...! Stress is defo a major starter though. The more Im worrying, the more acid Im producing, the more tense I am holding myself, the more I suffer. I think the pills help to get it back to a manageable level, then I am ok until I have something else to worry about. I think the excess acid from stress, irritates my stomach lining, so pills are unforunately needed until that has healed. Hope that is of some help to you, if not, hopefully to others!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.