Does anybody else have this problem

Posted , 6 users are following.

So for the past week I've been feeling ok. Not 100% before my anxiety started up, but better. I was still checking my heart rate and blood pressure but not as often before.

Now last night my cousin came to visit us and I told her about my chest pains. She knows what I go through with my anxiety but I don't thinks she really understands this. Anyway she was telling Mr about how her mom had her heart attack, and it basically scared the crap out of me. Hearing the story made my anxiety flared up again.

Also last night my dad was watching a medical show on tv about the people having a weird illness and watching that show also made me worry.

I just wanna know if anyone gets like this. Where you hear about a close one being ill, or you read/see anything about an illness, and then your anxiety worsens?

Its weird that I get like this because I know those problems don't,have anything ton do with me but I still worry as if it does.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I get like that and I know its stupid,  I also get anxiety when people are selling their houses even though I dont know wheo they are and never met them.  My therapist calls it abandonment issues, where I feel I am being left alone.  Joyce x

• Posted

It's quite normal to feel like that especially if you have health anxiety,we are so obsessed that something terrible is happening to us we are looking out for anything that might confirm we are really ill that seeing anything remotely connected can trigger our anxiety. X
  • Posted

Yes all the time if I hear about an illness or someone tells me about someone getting cancer I then start to feel anxious - horrible brain....,
  • Posted

This always triggers my anxiety! I had a professor of mine pass away suddenly, and it threw me into a cycle of anxiety. Also, my uncle was diagnosised with prostate cancer, and I was convinced I was going to get it (I'm a woman by the way). The rational part of my brain knew it wasn't possible, but the irrational part of me still freaked out. It is normal for a person with anxiety to become anxious about things you cannot control such as your health.
  • Posted

Hi shar,

This is exactly what my anxiety is, it revolves around my health. About two days ago I was convinced I had a brain tumor because my grandpa has cancer. I watch health shows and when I see an episode where someone has the same symptoms as me and has a deadly illness I get freaked out. I got checked with an MRI and it was clear.

I can relate to the heart pulse. I swear I felt flutters in my chest and I even bought an app on my phone to constantly check my heart pulse. I was so scared of my heart pulse going under 60 and would check my pulse almost every 10 mins. So no, you're not alone and it's definitely an anxiety thing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.