Does anybody else have to sleep on multiple pillows?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I’ve had problems with dizziness and vertigo most of my life. I have progressively had to sleep in more elevated positions to accommodate, alleviate and a oid symptoms, to some degree. I cannot lie flat, on my side or back. I am up to four pillows now and it’s ridiculous. It’s extremely difficult to sleep like this but I tried going back to three and got worse.  However, the pressure that four pillows exert on my neck sometimes causes headaches.  Now that I have a shoulder prioblem, it’s impossible to reconcile both ailments to be comfortable enough to sleep.  Dizziness always prevails over pain, so if I have to sit up all night because of my shoulder, then to try to avoid dizziness, that’s what I have to do. 

I was wondering if anybody else has to deal with this and if doctors have given any explanations why keeping thenhead elevated, is necessary. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Ever get the tests to find out why your dizzy and have vertigo? Sounds little like menieres. It gets worse over time. The build up of fluid and it staying there can cause bppv.
  • Posted

Hi. I also sleep with four pillows. I have TMJ disorder, and I have vertigo which originates from my left ear (used to be both ears before my treatment). It's quite a challenge sleeping somewhere else or in hotels. I always need more pillows.

• Posted

hi. i saw your post and i thought i would ask what kind of dizziness do you have ?....i sleep with one larg pillow which is quite high but really hurts my neck.....i havnt had any tests but my doctor thinks it BPPV but i am not so sure. i will try and explain my dizziness....in 2015 i had my first episode of weird dizziness which came on after i  woke up ,,the room does NOT spin but when i turn my head to either the left or right and look back again everything takes a moment to catch up .i feel very off balance while walking ,this attack lasts between 30mins and 4 hours ,i have ear pain in my right ear but no ringing . these attacks have been around 5 times a year since 2015 although this year since january i have had quite a few .....i am thinking of asking for an MRI cuz i am so concerned about tumours but i dont think i could stay in that tunnel without feeling awfull and worrying about the results ..catch 22 here...what type of dizziness are you experiancing? 
  • Posted

Last year, I was in bed with the room spinning for four months. Now, I have a chronic sense of feeling off balance and still experience apinning, depending on head position, at times. Howevr, I have also experienced the type of sizziness you are referring to. I think I experience dizziness and vertigo at sofferent times. I am also having an issue getting an MRI done becaise I also have a motion intolerance problem. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.