does anybody else just do salafalk enemas alone and take nothing else.as Iam doing?

Posted , 3 users are following.

IIt seems it's only me doing my own enamas and not taking anything else,,

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Barbara,in my opinion it's best to attack from both ends as it were!!!
  • Posted

Hi Jill, well last time Iwas on mezaline granuals. and that put me in hospital ffor 11 days  with pancreitus.It was awful. so im scared of going on anything new again. If the enama fixes one side of the colon, why would you need something for the other side.as I have got left sided uc. xxxx

• Posted

My whole (or hole!) colon is diseased so I use 2 * 2 Pentasa tablets for the top and a nightly Salafalk enema for the bottom.  I've tried reducing this to a couple a week but I lose too much blood without them daily.

Not a big fan of @rse rockets but needs must.

• Posted

Hahahahaha!!!!!!Rockets..Do you do your own enamas? I had nurses coming at first but you never know when they are coming or even if they will come, So i have learrnt to do my own. Thought i would never do it at first. But now I am a dab hand!!!!!!   Babs.

• Posted

Do it myself!  I have to collect 4 boxes a month (7 each month).

Its second nature now, lie on left side with knee raised and in they go, have to remain in that position for 30 mins so I just do it in bed now and when about to go a sleep, I just make sure im careful (hygene wise)

• Posted

Don'tyou get fed up with doing enamas every night? I do It's not just 2 minutes of a job is it .you lie on your left for 1/2 an hour then you have to get up again to go to the toilet.then go to bin with the empty tub.Ithink it's a right fag. sometimes you are too tired to bother.What have i done to deserve this??

• Posted

Hi Barbara,do you not do enema in bed last thing at night? Take a carrier bag with you for empty enema and dispose of in morning. The longer you can retain the meds the better so if you can stay in bed and hold it in until morning all the better. Do you take oral meds as well? Xx
    • Posted

Hi JILL nO I DON'T TAKE ORAL MEDS AS WELL AS LAST TIME HE PUT ME ON THEM I ENDED UP IN HOSPITA L  THE DAY AFTER  FOR 11 DAYS  .I HAD TO RING AN AMBULANCE AT 2 IN THE MORNING WITH BLOOD POURING FROM BACK PASSAGE AND TERRIBLE PAIN IN TUMMY. THEY SAID THE PILL HAD GIVEN ME PANCREATITUS. AND I AM ALSO ON WHARFARIN .IWAS SO WORRIED ABOUT GOING ON ANOTHER MED THEY JUST SAID  WELL JUST DO THE ENAMA. AAND ITS MAKING MY HAIR FALL OUT SO I DONT WANT TO TAKE TOO MUCH.

• Posted

I'm a 43 year old man with a 4 year old boy, stressful job and UC - yes my hair is receding rapidly! I don't think it's Pentasa or Salofalk enema related though!

If you're worried about hair loss then I'd inform your IBD nurse or consultant and maybe they can prescribe you something different.

Neither are controlling my symptoms at the moment.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that James. Yes my cosiltant said he is aware that hair falls out on salofalk. . Why didnt he tell me this at the begining? He has noew put me on presidalone at the moment which is a steroid . Not too happy about that. Mat ask to try Pentasa.Is that a steroid or not.  Babz.

• Posted

I have started to reduce enamas. Ican get away with reducing 2 a week. at weekends. All ok up to now!!!!!

• Posted

Going on holiday and having to do enemas. in hotel room .What a fag !!!!

• Posted

Just have bin liner handy and try not to get up after using,ie use just before sleeping,fag I know but if it controls UC well worth it I say! Good luck x
    • Posted

Thankyou for replying Jill. Does it never get you down thinking this is for life now?  xx  Also when i was taking mesazaline  in the morning my ankles feet and legs swelled terribly so I am definately alergic to mesazaline .do you know if there is any other foam enamas beside mesalazine?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.