Does anyone believe/have physiological pain caused by Depression/anxiety?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all. Just wondering what everyone thinks of psychological pain? I've suffered with depression, anxiety and healthy anxiety for years. I get something in my head, usually to do with my health, then I focus on this and I start believing in dying or got something terminal. For me, it can manifest in a pain or ache somewhere. Does anyone have this? I'm under investigation for a pain in my flank, everything has come back clear though I do suffer from lower back pain due to my job. Drs are at a loss as to what might be causing it so I'm wondering now if I'm causing it myself by focusing on it but its like a vicious circle! I have pain, I get depressed and anxious over it, pain goes worse e.t.c. Just wanted to know peoples views on this please? Thank you xxx

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi - oh that is good. I did have a really bad time when my son  was a few weeks old. It started with a bad dream and then I got totally obsessed with dying and absolutley everything that I could feel in my body became something else. I got into this habit of reading autobiographies of people who survived serious illness so that I could be reassured. I cannot remember how it went or why but it did at some stage.I was  having some therapy at the time so probably talked all this stuff through. I do remember that it was a bit nasty so i do hope that it moves on for you soon.Not sure whether this is similar to you or not but wish you the best. 
    • Posted

Mine started after the birth of my daughter. She was 11lb 3oz and I was really ill after giving birth. Her size had caused my grumbling appendix and a double heartbeat which I had numerous tests for. That's when the panic attacks and health anxiety started and I went through an horrendous time but I got through the worst part but its left me with depression and health anxiety. I think it was all the hormones! X
    • Posted

Hey Pauline, I am convinced Anixety like the rest of the great folk is the trigger for the pain as I had really bad fatique and worry which was due to anxiety even though I told the doctor 'I dont have anxiety.....' Yeah acceptance was crictical in meading my way of thoughts CBT and meds has improved me I hope you get the balance you need sometimes it just takes a while smile
  • Posted

You know - it is possible that you may have had post natal depression and that it is still ongoing? The reason i say  this is that when I had my last son I got depressed very quicly and was diagnosed with PND and treated for it with meds . I sometimes think that PNT can go on for  years and some experts say that a lot of women out there who suffer from long  term depression were not acknowledgeed or treated for this depression when babies born.There is probably a bit about it on the web though I have not looked. Pause for thought i think
  • Posted

I only just heard of this about two weeks ago. Never knew this could happen. But I reckon it can most definitely.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.