Does anyone drink alcohol while on carbamazepine?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

I'm new to this. i was diagnosed with TN 4 weeks ago after experiencing the worst pain of my life. I'd rather do child birth 100 times over. The pain has settled in the last few days, and the side affects of the tablets of eased. The doctor has advised that its best not to drink while on the tablets, but just wondering if anyone has and what the effects are?

Thanks

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hey Lisa, I have been on these a while now and was never told not to drink on them. I do drink now and again and just find It doesn't take much to get drunk now as alcohol just really goes to my head. Probably the meds so i would just advice that if you do drink do so with caution.

Hope the TN settles down soon lovely Xx

• Posted

aww thank you for your reply. I'm done abit of research tonight and your right most info just says its makes you more sleepy. I have to say to me if i couldn't ever drink again, i don't know what i would do. I don't drink massively but the occassional night out and holidays i like a couple. I think i will try a couple in the house first and see how it is. Thank you x

• Posted

I'm on this medication also... This medication alone keep me light headed & unsteady. I have sipped wine makes me go to sleep. I be in so much pain it wakes me out my sleep.

• Posted

no dont drink i have always been a moderate drinker for the last 50 years had to stop 2/3 years ago had the op no more pain just the frozen face i dont drink now except for the occasional one

good luck

• Posted

Hi,

I've been taking Carbamazepine for about 2.5 years and I also have Amitriptyline. If I drink alcohol I only have a glass of wine (medium at most). I then find myself dream ranting at my son for coming home at stupid O'clock and "being quiet" 🤣 In the morning I check on him (to see if he is OK) and discover that he's not there - he has stayed at his girlfriend's! Shortly after that he comes home 🙄 We laugh about it, but I do wonder what the mix is doing to my brain. I struggle to finish crosswords (I do the really hard ones) whereas I could finish them really fast before. I wobble when I walk, not just the flabby bits either! 🤣 I get double vision and nystagmus (up and down eye motion).

The risk of kidney damage from carbamazepine is the reason why you should have regular blood tests, though, and all drugs can be toxic especially in high doses. There are many drugs that are metabolised in the liver and if it's busy processing alcohol then it will not be able to process your medication which might lead to higher serum levels which then exacerbate other side effects and possibly affect other organs. You can also be at risk of bleeding and clotting disorders when you have poor liver function.

Basically, a drink now and then is perfectly fine, alcohol induced dream rants notwithstanding, but several every day is putting you at risk. This is true in the absence of any medications too.

So, be safe, drink sensibly and keep taking medication 😊

• Posted

Hi Lisa. Sorry for what you are going through friend. Yes, Trigeminal Neuralgia IS the worst pain on earth. I don't take the Carbamazepin now but i have in the past. I had to come off of it because it didn't give me complete relief from my TN pain but mostly because i didn't like how it kept me sluggish feeling and often would lose my words. Please understand that i am not advocating for you to drink with this medication and your doctor does know best but just answering your question with truth. I was put on Carbamazepin during a hospital stay and was told NOT to drink alcohol with it. After a few weeks on this med, i did drink on occasion but only in moderation and i had no problems with it all all, other than it making me sleepy. Like i mentioned before though, i'm not taking it now. The Carbamazepin kept me so tired and still in pain, so i've switched to medical cannabis and doing much better now with the pain. Also, since it's natural, no longer the fear of taking too much of it and i can drink when i want. Still drinking in moderation but simply because it really doesn't take much to get me intoxicated. Some other things you can do at home for relief from TN is hot rags and fix yourself a couple rice socks to heat in your microwave when you need them. The heat compresses give almost immediate relief from the TN pain in your head. The relief is temporary but it works every time. When the pain gets really bad, i have sank down into a hot tub of water and it eases the pain in my head. If you immerse your head into the hot water, without the water covering your face, the hot water can sooth the nerves around the trigeminal nerve in your head. I hope you are having a better day, friend. Be careful with those prescription meds and don't self-medicate. You are in my prayers.

• Posted

Hi, Lisa,

I'm already a zombie on Carbamazepine (if that's the drug to which you are referring, also, called Tegretol?) So I can't see drinking! And I've read it's dangerous. So I wouldn't do it. Good luck! I, too, am new to TN; have posted new msg. elsewhere.

Yes, the pain is worse than childbirth; even worse than my worse migraine. I got it under control, but am now having "breakthrough" pain. This is an SOB, lousy condition!

Good luck to both of us.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.