Does anyone else get insomnia with citalopram

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, this is my second time on citalopram 20mg but last time I didn’t have the problem with sleep that I do now. Has it affected anyone else’s sleep and does it get any better. This is my tenth week on it and it’s not gettin any easier even with zoplicone. I just don’t know what to do because the lack of sleep makes my anxiety worse.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gemma, yes I had problems with sleeping this time, last time it was the opposite, couldn't stay awake. Also I found that because I had not slept properly my mind told me that my anxiety would be worse if I was tired so what happens .......yes you get anxious and it all starts again!

I am now in 14th week and it is all back to normal now with the sleeping. Try to tell yourself it is a side effect and like all the others it will pass x

• Posted

Well there is a story behind my dose. As I said I have been on cit before, 20mgs and recall only too well what the side effects where, so in my wisdom ( not), thought I would try and buck the system! Started on 10 for 6 weeks, then 15 for 5 weeks then 20, all this achieved was side effects every increase and prolonged my recovery. One of the GP's I work with told me this would happen but thought I knew best, how wrong was I! However glad to report after a good 3 months I am now getting there, obviously 20mgs is where I should be, as he never fails to jokingly tell me on a regular basis

• Edited

Gemma taking them in the morning can help. I agree with Sue its a side affect that will pass.

I take magnesium at night which helps my sleep, am sensitive to meds so it knocks me out. Regular sleep patterns, reading a book, not screens helps me too.

• Posted

Thank you both of you, I’m taking them on a morning instead of on a night but I still wake any time after 3am and no matter what I do I cannot get back to sleep, even with zoplicone to help me stay asleep. It’s exhausting and it makes my anxiety worse. It feels like it’ll never end.
    • Posted

Worrying about not sleeping can make it worse too. When you wake up at night, get up drink some water, read a book, this helped me with insomnia then go back to bed again. Its not ideal but can help with the frustration and to get back to sleep.
    • Posted

Gemma I too felt the same as you at the stage you were at. Do not add to your fears, it will work, you just have to take each day as it comes, do not concern yourself with tomorrow, next week or next month. Just focus on the fact that you will be 1 of the 80 percent of people that no longer need to use forums for reassurance unless it is to help and guide others through this. When you think how many people are on this medication that is a lot of successful lives being lived
    • Posted

Thank you sue, I felt so rubbish after so little sleep last night that I thought that I just can't do this anymore I feel terrified at times x

• Posted

When I used to feel like that I used to lay on the sofa with a blanket, read a book, play a game on my phone, watch crap television, snooze and tell myself ok I need to write today off and see what tomorrow brings but above all be kind to yourself and what ever needs doing today will still be there to do another day
    • Posted

lavender helps r bath and book r dvd in bed helps me and try not think about sleep r time put phone away at 9pm and get in bed read r dvd and ull sleep ur thinking about sleep to much and thinking its 3am got wrk r be up at 7am example then u cant sleep for panicking bin there u need do same every night then body gets used to it and it will wrk bt u need stick to times and do same 2wks ull see difference

• Posted

Hi Gemma 

I found the same but now take my citalopram first thing in the morning and now able to sleep better.

• Posted

Snap. Second time for me too

It was worse this time 

Try relaxation music at night 

Am sure your going everything else right

Stick with it. Try not to be anxious about it 

It will pass 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.