Does anyone else get swollen joints with Fibromyalgia ?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi ,

I have had joint pain on and off since my symptoms first started a year ago . The joint pain /swelling is worse in my knees and I can't walk on them towards the end of the day it's that painful . I also get the pain in my feet,ankles and wrists although no swelling there. My doctor has put it down to fibromyalgia which has just been diagnosed by a rheumatologist . When I go to the doctors though I have a hard time to get across what I need to say ( fibro fog ) and just babble ,they just put it down to fibro , so any info / advice would be appreciated smile

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rachael. That sounds hard to deal with. When you see your GP make a list before you go if exactly what you want to say/ask. Re the swelling I don't know the answer. I have soft tissue arthritis as well as fibro so usually put any swelling down to that. Pain can be either. I used to get a lot of wrist pain specially after long drives. I've now got an auto car which helps.

It's v easy for doctors to put everything under one umbrella but I think it's important that other things aren't missed. Make a list therefore and if necessary go back to your rheumatologist which your symptoms/questions. Your knee problem sounds quite severe. Good luck and keep me posted. And btw lists are good for anything when you have fibro fog. Take your time over things and also when listening, you could take a notebook and write down answers you are given. 😄

• Posted

Hi Rachel. I have had a lot of pain in my legs particularly the backs of my knee and the muscles at the back of my leg. Mine was worse during the night and first thing in the morning. However, if I have been watching TV in the evening I have a job to stand up. It seams to me that Fibro takes on so many different forms that it is hard detect what is Fibro and what is something else. I have a good Doctor who does seam to listen. He is sending me back to the Rhuematogist to make sure nothing else has been missed. Over the past few days my pain has shifted from legs and is now in my right arm so now have weakness/pain in that to contend with!

I agree with vjl I write lists for everything!

• Posted

Hi Rachael, I also have the same symptoms every joint in my body is very painful all the time and I also get fibro fog and the soles of my feet are painful from the moment I get out of bed.
    • Posted

Any updates on your condition? I have exact same... burning soles painful all the time. Every joint in body is affected. Eyes tear up and burn on bright light or any time i try to read. Foggy brain. IBS. All similar symptoms as RA or Lupus... but doctor saud must be fibro due to ra factor not present in bloodwork. I'm not convinced.

• Posted

Thank you for your replies . I will request to see the rheumatologist again to check nothing has been missed . Because my doctor doesn't seem to listen there's not a lot of trust there and I worry they are just putting it down to fibro without even considering anything else , It might be best just to change gps . It is amazing how widely the symptoms vary from day to day ! X
  • Posted

Hi Rachael,

I recently had a Rheumatologist diagnose me with FM and CFS. During the consultation I told him about my swellings, feet, ankles (especially after walking) wrists, back of knees and inside elbows he said he felt that I may also have one of the arthropathies but definately not RA. I was to have a series of blood tests e.g. immunology, biochem and one other I cannot remember the name of, this was in September.  There have been no letters or a call and was told if I hadn't heard back then that meant nothing serious was up. I am convinced that I have Arthritis because I have researched FM symptoms and although you may have joint pain you would not experience any swelling. I am wondering what to do about my situation which sounds similar to yours and I think I may write to the Rheumatologist and ask him about my blood test results and do these correlate with the swellings I describe. This could be an answer for you, too. Good Luck in finding out and don't leave it as this may impact on your FM symptoms, in my experience. Let us know how you get on. All the best Angie. 

• Posted

Everything isn't Fibro, I've always thought it was a muscle/nerve pain disorder....

I deal with osteoarthritis so that is a big issue in my body.

Drugs can cause issues too....

• Posted

Statins are a big offender to joint damage....I've heard some stories from folks damaged by these drugs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.