Does anyone else have anxiety over 'manning up'

Posted , 3 users are following.

Im 20 and male. I recently realised i act extremely feminine and have become anxious about it and I'm trying my vest to 'man up'. Does anyone else experience this?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Not to sound cliche but dont allow society to dictate who you are. Be yourself. We have enough drones walking around. 
  • Posted

I've never had that problem, I might say tho that I am somewhat feminine? I'm 20 also

I am polite. I don't say nasty stuff when everyone else is.. I'm just me. Be whoever you are and when it is time to "man up" handle it and go back to being yourself

It may be from being raised by my mom and my sister I always give respect and get it back but even if I don't I would rather stand out from the crowd then be like the typical guys who enjoy farting in each other's face haha. I'm not sure what you meant by being feminine but if you comment further maybe I can give some other advice :p

Be yourself man

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I think you have hit the nail on the head. What I mean by feminine is to do with my emotions and a little bit of my mannerisms. I really think society is the reason I'm anxious and I overthink things that society says i should be doing which results in me messing them up and feeling worse. The thing that's strange is that lots of these things I'm normally good at but have over though them to death. For example sex is supposed to be something that a real man is good at and I used to be good but i got a nagging thought worried about if i became bad at it and then i did. This has in turn made me anxious about dating and I sit and watch my friends date whilst I just envy them. I know I need to take baby steps and build my experience up as I have recently came out a 2 year relationship and forgotten how to be single. I have a lot of men saying things to me such as how girly I am and each time it knocks my confidence. I'm constantly getting compliments from girls and I just can't take positives but latch on to negatives.

• Posted

It's interesting hearing other people's forms of anxiety :p

I used to very sensitive when j was young and when I was a teen and sometimes still I have a lot of empathy for people, it's not a female trait as some guys would say it's just that you have a good heart and that you're normal

I've always been through similar things but never worried about it, me and my girlfriend have been together for 3 years. But I still have a lot of friends who are girls, a lot of them are very good looking and whenever I introduced some of them to some of my guy friends it seems the guys always say "she's so hot I would (explicit etc) to her" haha

I've always been a bubble person and I don't like casual sex like all my friends

I've had my 1 or 2 in school but because I got to know them and really did like them. I was popular in high school, football basketball etc tons of friends

But it wasn't something I could ever get into. Even now if I didn't have a beautiful fiancé I wouldn't be out on the prowl like other guys to say haha, It may be my pride/ego or my desire to focus on my success financially and health wise but I'm not into pursuing like most guys, I always rather wait and when I meet a nice girl who is interested after we get to know each other and things have worked out, anyway point is

Relax man we're young and if anyone is calling you girly or pointing out what they think may be strange attributes, screw em

Oh and also, when my anxiety is up I want nothing to do with sex or my fiancé or anything haha so relax and realize you're a normal guy surrounded by.. A holes.. and everything will go back to normal

• Posted

Just wanted to say how impressed i was by what you wrote , so mature an helpful to young people on here , take care x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.