Does anyone else have chronic diarrhea with their cfs

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been dealing with CFS for almost two years. I have no appetite and have to force  myself to eat. I have diarrhea almost every day. Lately I have had these vivid dreams that make me wake up feeling so foggy and even more tired. My muscles are so tense in my back, I have a hard time relaxing. I do my stretching exercises every day and take my omeperzole to keep the inflammation down in my stomach and a probiotic to keep up the good bacteria in my intestines. I also take the extra vit. D that is always suggested to cfs patients. Does anyone else share any of these symptoms?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi my husband has CFS and IBS he has diarroeah every day too .. There are drugs for IBS I would see your doctor . 

IBS is common for people with CFS .

• Posted

Yes, I know there are drugs for it and I have taken them when I have to leave the house. Otherwise I try to stay as drug free as possible. Just wondered if anyone else had it every day. Good luck to your husband.
  • Posted

Hi, you need to look into what and when you eat including the quantity. Keep a food diary for a couple of weeks at least and then you will be able to get a good understanding of whether something is obviously not right and your doctor will potentially be able to identify an issue quicker.

IBS is only one condition of many that can cause those symptoms. Other causes I have seen relating to CFS or ME sufferers have been taking too much magnesium, lactose intolerance and even malabsorbtion.

• Posted

Thanks for the input. It really doesn't matter what I eat, as soon as it hits my mouth, the urge is there. I only eat small amounts at a time. I tried gluten free for awhile but that did not help. Onto the next trial as in trial and error.
  • Posted

Hi appetite is such that i eat far too much inthe hope that it might give me come energy and other times i am just literallt too tired to eat, if i gave in to the feelings i have first thing in the morning i just wouldnt get out of bed and on occasions i have had to give in to it but mostly i dont know how but i make myself do what i have to do' relaxing is something i cant remeber , i take vit d as i was very low seems a common problem with sufferers and the more tired and low i feel the worse my pain is but i am told that all these are common factors in cfs. today for the first time in a couple of months i have had a good day and because ive had a good day i feel if this is how it will be just 1 random day in godness knows how long then that makes me feel great 'at least feel great today anyway' i havent been told about stretching exercises but i am in the process of getting help from the cfs consultant and pain managment so maybe other things may pop up over time.cheesygrin
    • Posted

I was in CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) for a few years. The idea is to change the way you think about certain things. So if you've had your first good day in a couple of months, another way to look at it is, "My body may be starting to heal. Maybe this will keep getting better." And really, that could very well  be the case.
    • Posted

Thank you for input. I had heard that doing stretching exercises help keep your muscles stretched and more limber. And I am hoping that tomorrow I might have enough energy to go for a short walk or at least to lay out in the sunshine and fresh air.
    • Posted

Thank you for your input. At night I try to practice relaxation techniques to help me relax so I can fall asleep. I only seem to sleep for about 2hours at a time, wake up, try to relax and repeat until morning.
  • Posted

As others post here, stomach issues are very common with CFS. It sounds like you're pretty knowedgeable if you're taking probiotics. I assume you've looked into lactose intolerance and problems with gluten? You might try going off both of those, even if tests have shown no problem. I take digestive enzymes.
    • Posted

Yes, I am not gluten intolerant,but like my yogurt every day. May look into the digestive enzymes. I read somewhere that extra magnesium may help, but then heard too much may be detrimental. There is so much trial and error. Everyone's body is different but it seems like most of the symptoms
    • Posted

Yep, be careful with the magnesium. Too much can cause diarrhea. Also, eating small amounts every few hours is better than eating large amounts of food at once. Oh, and remember, the Internet is your friend. If you did a Google search on CFS and diarrhea, you might get a lot of hits.
  • Posted

Hi ChloeCybil, I suffer from diarrhea (although not daily as was once the case) as well as extreme fatigue and little to no appetite. I see that others have suggested going gluten free, which actually did help me a bit. Didn't eliminate the problem completely, but it did help. I also tend to stuff myself on the rare occasions that I do have an appetite, which can cause diarrhea as well. I often have to force myself to eat to maintain a healthy weight (I have actually experienced wasting, losing 10-20% of my body weight in a short period of time) and to make sure I'm getting enough calories. I keep a food diary as well, also making note of bowel movements (and yes, yuck, what they look like) and overall health, energy level (usually exhausted), etc.

Sorry you're experiencing similar stuff, but it's good to know we're not alone, yes? Be well.

• Posted

Yes, I've had this for over 40 years, docs ruled out, IBS, lactose intolerance, bacterial growth, medication, gluten intolerance, so their conclusions is it's my CFS only just had the prognosis recently as I also have sleep apnea which they put down to the chronic tiredness. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.