Does anyone else have my 'problem'?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all, The thing thats causing me all my problems, probably the only thing, is obsessive thoughts, by obsessive thoughts I mean one thought, that is there the instant I wake up, all day, and the last thing in my head b4 I drop off, its a constant nagging thought regarding a physical part of me that isnt perfect. I had this thought many years ago, it resurfaced about 3 and a half years ago, i tried 'accepting' 'ignoring' 'forgetting' It to no avail, I realised I was getting lower and started taking citalopram 9 weeks ago, the cit has made my anxiety and general 'wellness' better, but the thought is still there, could anyone tell me if citalopram (or any other med) will help me regarding this thought? Is this thought there cos of a chemical imbalance? will the cit help in sorting out my chemical imbalance therefore making me not obsess about this 'imperfection'? In my head im thinking this thought will be there til the day I die, and if the imperfection was 'repaired'(so to speak) then this is the only way to end this thought. Any replies would be greatly appreciated. . thank you.. Luke

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

The thought will always be with you as it is the cause of you anxiety, the only way to get the thought out is to come to terms with it, learn how to deal with it. Of course I don't know why you think you have a imperfection but everyone is unhappy with at least one thing about them
    • Posted

So youre saying I have anxiety/obsessive thoughts because of the imperfection? And if I didnt have the imperfection I wouldn't have the anxiety/obsessive thoughts? God thats made me feel awful.
  • Posted

This thought first appeared as far back as 1992, ive NEVER been able to 'come to terms with it'....... surely im gonna have to try and get it 'repaired' then arent I?
    • Posted

Maybe but normally when people aren't happy with something about themselves and fix it, they still feel insecure about something else
  • Posted

Luke,

Many many people are not perfectly happy about themselves but the reality is - nobody is perfect.

I'm my opinion, 'perfection' is relative to other peoples thoughts anyway.

What you have to do is deal with it. Can the imperfection be fixed? If it can, weigh it up and maybe get it fixed. If it can't, accept it and move on.

One thing to remember is that you aren't going to be perfect. For example, lots of women want bigger breasts, but the thing is, there is no perfect size! A certain man may have a preference for smaller breasts and the woman feels imperfect again.

A lot of things really don't matter even when you think they do.

• Posted

Antony its an 'obsessive' thought that 'stops' me from living a normal life, I wouldnt give a flying f@#$ about the imperfection so long as my mind/brain wouldnt keep reminding me that its 'important'? Why do I keep getting the thought?
  • Posted

hi luke i am so so sorry to hear about your problems, i am 34 and have been on seroxat since i was 19 yes 19yr old got told i only need to be on them for 2mnth, there were then the new SUNSHINE drug!!! 15yr down the line i am only just over the last year started to wean off them and there were only 10mg, anyway i have anxiuos obsesive thoughts like you, but not about anything i need to if u get me, i have been so fixated in all this meds n wot not i wud spend hours n hours in libraries etc, i have learned that citalopram like all other ssri drugs are not the thing trust me, its a vicious circle with them u feel anxious n have these obsessive thoughts the drug will then mass all that out, as a ssri drug (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) will only be full life effcetive if say yr severly depressed which in that case u have very low levels ov serotonin a ssri drug shud help, however if like myself and u suffer anxiety and obsess thoughts these drugs in the end will make your anxiety n thoughts a lot worse, the reason why they seem so good at first is because if you dont have low levels of serotonin (which there is no way of ever knowing) these drugs will give you more of it yr body then comes tolerant to the drug so the anxiouness then kicks in with obsess thoughts etc as ot was,nt the right drug in the first place so then u have to deal with withdrawel effects etc n its one big circle, luke my seroxat wot i been on for 15yr my body has totally become tollerant to them but docs wont tell u that i only got them for minor panick attacks n now i am that bad with anxiety n obsess thoughts i have to c a physciatrist which has now said i have ocd as i wont let anyone do a thing for me even as litte as putting the kettle on in fear its not done correct, also i now have a thing called anankastic personality traits which is a underlying problem of ppl with anxiety and it gives you or makes worse if u already have them mixed obsessional thoughts n all this through stupid stupid doctors using us as guinnea pigs, my 12yr realationship has ended 3 mnth ago im heartbroken, plz plz luke beleive me you will be more than happy than any imperfection you got than the life you,ll have on any type of ssri drugs etc, i,d would be more than happy to have any imperfection right now as long as i cud have my family n life back norm, i cant even remember my 2 children growing up properly them horrible tablets made me readapt totally from the outside world no wonder everyone sued glaxosmithkline, no money can bring u your childs first years back wot u lost out on,so luke i wish u all the luck n please get rid ov the tablets, the sooner the tablets go the sooner yr thoughts will, if u are having thoughts like that there,ll make u 10x worse its a antiphyscotic drug u may need and a good proffesional keep me informed how u get on please good luck
  • Posted

Hi Luke, the only way to end this thought is to accept and love yourself. We all have negative thoughts it's about changing those negative thoughts into a positive thought. When you think again about your inperfecction, change it into something you like about your body. The more you do this the negative thought  should become less. ie: The negative thought is i don't like my nose, change this to but i do like my eyes. Concentrate on the positves about youself, learn to accept yourself. There is no such thing as perfection, it's an illusion. Another example is some people see a glass either as half full or half empty. Be the one that see it as half full. You may consider CBT which is therapy that can help you to change these thoughts, but you need to be open and respond for it to work. Hope this helps.

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Elizabeth I have spent the last 3.5 years TRYING to accept and love myself, my mind/brain wont allow me to? It keeps telling me theres a problem......Never have I felt so disconsolate.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.