Does anyone else have PMDS (extreme PMS)?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I am 40 and for the past few  years I have noticed my PMS is getting worse and worse...I have depressoin and anxiety and I get intensely angry and upset at everything and everyone at this time of the month. I am on anti-depressants that work fairly well most of the time. I also use chocolate to feel better. I live in a tiny town with not much medical support. Does anyone know what I am talking about? Any comments or suggestions?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah, sorry I cannot really help you, as I never really suffered much with pmt, although when I was in my early 40's,I started to notice changes in my mood but not to any extreme, and I mentioned it several times to my dr,( I have a different one now),and they never did any test to see whether I was beginning the change and they never suggested it could be related to that. Really no comment was made. If they had said something or done a simple blood test I wouldn't have presented at the Drs on several occasions saving nhs money and time.

however I am now in my mid 50's and I think I must have completed the change by now. It may be worth asking your Dr if a blood test can be done to see if you are peri menopausal then at least you will know and then be able to try and manage it. Yes it would be difficult but unfortunately there is not a lot that can be done except HRT it is something we ladies have to go through. 

Hope this helps, you helped me last night in my discussion and yes I do not feel quite as low as I did last night, but there again although I was awake half the night I did not have to get up early and slept well from half six to half ten this morning.

• Posted

I'm almost through the menopause now and what helps me is Wild Yam, a herb. I wish I'd started taking it in my early forties before menopause because it balances hormones and prevents most of the hot flushes, I only get them when I've forgotten to take it.

I've heard horror stories about HRT so I didn't even consider it but looked for an alternative instead. I'm so glad I found it.

• Posted

Hi Sarah im nearly 45 and also suffer depression anxiety and agraphobia. I found the marina coil helped me with pms its even stopped my periods! I have also lived with chronic back pain since i was 22 and just the thought of the menopause fills me with dread.  All the best.
  • Posted

Georgia S

where can i buy the herb you mention and how do you take it? Many thanks

• Posted

I buy mine in bulk from a UK herbal supplier. I don't know where you are but I'm sure you'll find it to buy somewhere. Maybe a health food store or online?
    • Posted

Forgot to say I take mine as a tincture, i.e. drops in water but you may be able to take it as a tea or in capsules.
    • Posted

Im in Inverness so i will go online and look. I will certainly be trying it!! Thanks for the infosmile

• Posted

Lol I thought maybe it was some type of IUD! Thank you for the info, I am in Canada and I hope I can get it smile
  • Posted

Hi Sarah

I know I'm late to answer but OH MY GOD YES!!!  You have described me perefectly.  I am also 40 and suffering witht he same.  I am also on anti depressents which work well the rest of the time but lately I am out of control with PMS.  Not only do I get the usual massive mood swings, depression, anxiety but I have also got this whole change in attitude to my life during this time.  I literally want to leave my husband during times like this and am absolutely terrified I will and live to regret it.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.