does anyone else have this type of pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

i have just been diagnosed with pf, i have been hobbling about for weeks now, but finally went to gp yesterday.  The pain in my heel is uncomfortable through the day and i cannot put my foot flat to the ground.  But the worst is if i stretch it even slightly the feeling is like having a wound that has opened.  So bad it takes my breath away.  Then the hobble becomes a definate limp.  This does improve over the following day, till i stretch it again!  And it is very difficult not stretch it.  I have had to adjust all my movements to try and avoid this.  Last few nights i have been woken with pins and needles in the heel and the sensation of stinging nettles, this settles as soon as i get up and move about.  Anyone else have anything similar to this?  Any advice would be much appreciated! 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

If you are taking statins that can be a cause.
  • Posted

Hi Jill..i think you will find that PF is quite generic and differs from person to person. I ve seen and heard mention of pins and needles in some people. It generally stems from a tightness in the calf and on from there. It is a condition that changes too so trying to be mobile..exercises before you step out of bed..ice/heat/rest and finding supportive footwear is important. Even footwear in the house so you take the pressure off the ligament. Hope this helps. It will subside just take care
  • Posted

Thank you for your kind replys.  Really appreciate the support, specially at this time of year.  i had never heard of it before, but sounds like there are lots of us!  Hope you all manage to stay pain free - an hopefully this time next year we will all be better!!
    • Posted

Agree with stretching especially before getting out of bed. The supportive footwear piece varies from one person to another. My feet are the best they've been on a year and a half and it's because I started going barefoot around the house. Again, for some that works and others it doesn't.
  • Posted

Welcome to the PF website

I am a relative newcomer here and can only make my own personal points.

PF is a nasty, excruciatingly painful thing that happens to us often for no apparent reason.

I have posted to this site several times and always welcome new ideas and the opportunity to talk about your own PF experience.

PF is well documented but as far as I can see does not have any in-depth medical examination as to causes and treatment.

PF affects people in different ways, at different levels, and has vastly differing levels of treatment and effectiveness.

Treatments can include freezing, massage, stretching, steroid injection, surgery, anti-inflammatory drugs, shoe orthotics, ultra sound, ibuprofen, etc, etc, which just goes to show how little is actually known about it, and how to effectively to treat it is even less.

Pain levels vary from person to person but I find PF horribly painful. It can be as you said like ‘stinging nettles’ although I find it is more like a swarm of hot, hungry ants, trying to eat my ankle.

I can have at night a really painful foot ache, which means I have to rest my foot on a doubled-over pillow and draw the bed covers back. At other times the hot ants are back, then maybe a pair of pliers trying to rip the tendon from my ankle, or a 1000V shock from my ankle to my head when I put my foot on the floor. The real cheat is when in bed you feel fine only to get up and find you cannot walk at all.

Remedies as I said do not work for everyone. But rolling a small bottle of frozen water under the foot, stretching, and strong anti-inflammatory drugs seem to offer most hope.

Sorry if all this sounds a bit hopeless, but PF I think is quite a misunderstood condition.

I am sorry if this all sounds a bit hopeless and hope that maybe more medical diagnostics will provide better and more long lasting treatment.

• Posted

I have had this for 6 months and it is bad in the morning when I get up and then it eases until I walk and then it gets very painful. I also have arthritis in the other knee and |I was given Indometacin for that by my doctor. When my last steroid injection did not appear to help the Knee pain I took the Indometacin and although it only eased the Knee pain the plantar fasciitis pain almost dissipeared and has been OK for the last week so give them a try. Indometacin is for Arthritis, Ligament or tendon pain and gout all of which I have at 63. It is also for period pain and backbone pain which I do not have but does appear to cover most musculoskeletal pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.