Does anyone else overthink things?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hiya, I'm learning a new job at the moment which is quite tough and I have felt really stressed at times. I tend to overthink things and I have taken feedback quite personally, I have lost self belief. What I'm trying to ask is, does anyone out there find change make anxiety so much worse? I know this won't last forever but I have felt rubbish about myself. Any tips?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes. High anxiety levels functiin best in a low key, low stress routine. Like walking a tightrope at times. The only tips are cbt and learning self calming techniques and if you can working a low stress job or one that you really enjoy. Know if anither peson is rude or hard on you its not you, its on them. Calm hapoy people dont hurt other people. So try so hard not to personalize much. Most people are self motivated and self absorbed, especiallt int he work force. Not to say they arent fun or kind but self absorbed. You know what i mean? Everyone's got their own stuff going on in their lives.hang in there and try to only pull out the positives of your day. 
  • Posted

Focus on the goal. We all dont like negative feedback but its how we process and accept it that matters. Think of the training as a stepping stone for new skills and accept that you WILL make mistakes. But equallly - accept that you will learn from the mistakes and feedback and hone in on those skills to make them good.
  • Posted

If you can get a grip and do the job well the anxiety should diminish.  Have a bit of confidence. be conscientious and you will get there.
  • Posted

This happened to me when I first moved away after graduating from college to begin working for the military. For me, it was a huge change for me. Moving away from home knowing that I was now on my own, moving to a place where I knew no one, transitioning to military life, and moving to a place where there was no sun (I'm used to Hawaii weather and you'd be surprised what the lack of sun does to the mind). I didn't feel suicidal or anything but just hopeless and trapped. I also took criticism from work personally. I had lost 30 lbs in two months and my perception of reality was warped. What helped me was talking to a therapist and seeing a nutritionist to get my body working right. I learned about CBT which basically helps manage your anxious thoughts. Just need to pause and counter your anxious thought with something real and/or positive. It takes practice before you can do it without conscious effort but now, it takes a lot to send my mind into chaos. I'm still an anxious person but I've learned to manage it better and you continue to throughout your life. Just remember, it's not easy to change your way of thinking but just keep trying to turn those negative thoughts around and it gets easier.
  • Posted

Do you have a therapist or a counsellor or someone who is trained to help?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.