Does anyone else's mind work like this?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Dear friends,

Does anyone else's mind really lock on to a bodily area or part that is causing worry ?

Example: You are getting bad headaches so from waking up to going to bed your thoughts are mainly on your headache and you notice every twinge and ache that you may have missed if you were not so focused on that area.

Or a joint is aching and your mind just locks on it and you notice every little ache and twinge and the worry (health anxiety) is all consuming... ?

If you do, how do you get past this please?

Thank you

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Haha alllll the time. This is VERY common with health anxiety sufferers.

• I was experiencing cluster headaches around this time last year. They lasted about a month or so. It felt like sharp stabbing pains on the left side of my head, behind my ear. I'd get them even when sleeping too... I googled and of course it said I had a brain tumor or another brain issue lol. Gotta love google.
    • I freaked out so bad, I was a complete wreck, constantly anxious and in pain. I ended up going to the Dr for an MRI and it came back completely normal. As soon as I heard that I started to calm down, and as soon as I calmed down the symptoms disappeared completely. I haven't had them since haha. It's amazing what your mind can do to your body physically.
    • Unfortunately I'm onto other physical symptoms now though, like generalized itching and stomach pains. It's like as soon as I figure out one symptom is nothing serious, it goes away and a new one pops up ready to get me nervous all over again.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your very helpful reply Philly. . .

I too had bad head pains which after MRI brain scan and all the anxiety that goes with it was diagnosed as cluster headaches, I was prescribed 'Naramig' which worked every time, they have got less and less to virtually none now over the years.

Why do we do this to ourselves ?

I watched a few really good vids by

The Anxiety Guy

On YouTube yesterday who provides some very insightful information on how the brain and body is affected by Anxiety and how to stop it.

Maybe take a look ?

Best Wishes

• Posted

Oh cool, I will take a look! Thanks =) Idk why we do this to ourselves haha, it's so frustrating 😦

• Posted

Ditto with my mind games. It's amazing when you feel better you dont focus on your ailments as much.

• Posted

Hi Will,

Absolutely, keeping busy or distracting the mind can help sometimes 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.