Does anyone else suffer with extreme thirst?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Swear In the last month I’ve noticed it more and more .. but this thirst is not only waking me up but keeping me awake too.. my throat hurts, my urine is darker and my headaches have returned .. all signs I’m dehydrated .. yet there isn’t enough time in the day to drink anymore than I already am 😂😭 tell me someone else has a similar problem and I’m not being a hypercondreact? 

Torn between visiting my gp and leaving it be .. everything I’ve brushed off previously has progressed into glandular fever first off then ME as a result of untreated glandular fever but I feel like I’m in there every week with five, six different symptoms and problems 😂 to be expected I know with how many symptoms are involved with ME but even so.. 

advice? Help? Tell me I’m alone? 

Meg c 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I also have excessive thirst. I drink so much during the day and keep 2 bottles of water beside my bed but nothing quenches my thirst then I am up all night having to go to the bathroom. My doctor gave me salogen to help with the dry mouth. It has helped some but not a lot. What about your eyes? Mine are always dry red and itchy.
    • Posted

Hi Christina thank you for tour response, glad to hear im not the only one .. I’m yet to mention it to my doctor worried they’ll do more blood tests or tell me ‘it’s nothing’ my eyes are often sore and or itchy. Almost like the feeling I get from hay fever?  But it’s not often.. x
  • Posted

I always seem to be thirsty too although I drink loads of water. One thing that seems to help me is eating pears (fresh or tinned in natural juice). I think they have potassium in them which might be helpful. Make sure you eat lots of fruit and vegetables. Chewing gum can help a dry mouth. Also check you are not breathing through your mouth  rather than your nose as this can make your mouth dry and make you feel thirsty. Anxiety can also dry up your mouth making you feel thirsty.
    • Posted

Thank you Elaine! I don’t like pears 😫 though I’m eating as much fruit and veg as I can along with drinking tons of water. I don’t snore so there’s no risk of breathing through my mouth though my mouth does tend to dry up just from breathing at times sad( my anxiety recently got unbearable and I’ve been put on Zoloft for it so i wouldn’t have said it was anxiety causing it, thank you for the suggestion though! X 

• Posted

Hi meg, I'm sure you commented on my first post, first of all would you mind private messing me or someway we can keep in touch? I want to speak to someone that possibly understands me.

I have times when I'm thirsty, especially when my anxiety is up! But there are times that I would have no thirst for water at all, and the last episode I had this it is what put me in hospital..

• Posted

Hi jake, I did indeed and I will do smile thanks for the response x 
  • Posted

Make sure you are getting enough salt. Dehydration can be caused by too little water, too little salt, or too little of both. Too much salt is a problem of course, but some people do not get enough. I get insatiably thirsty when I am low on salt, then I have some salt, drink more, and am okay. Coconut water is really good because it has sodium and potassium in the right balance for maintaining hydration, although sports drinks can work too or sometimes just eating something salty. However, make sure it is not diabetes, since unquenchable thirst is a classic diabetes symptom.
    • Posted

I’ve never been told to eat more salt before 🤔😅 however I don’t tend to add any additional salt to my foods so I guess it could be a solution.. I’m aware of the symptom for diabetes thank you, I’m awaiting blood tests to rule that outsmile thank you for your response x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.