Does anyone else suffer with recurrent vestibular neuritis?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, I had my first spell of VB just over 2 years ago although at the time it was put down to anxiety! It was only when the same thing happened again 10 months later and was diagnosed as VB that it became obvious to me that it was what had happened previously! Then a year after the second attack I had the third and now 3 months later I'm experiencing another attack! Is anyone else having episodes like this? In between I'm perfectly ok with no dizziness at all! Also does anyone get any warning signs before an attack? Should I be pushing for tests? I've had bloods done and been checked over by my GP but is there anything else that should be being done or do I just have to accept that this could keep happening? Thanks for reading x

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Is your hearing at all affected during attacks? If so, a recurrent case of VN with tinnitus and/or hearing reduction usually in the same "bad" ear, is probably Menieres according to the tons of reading I've done on the subject. It could also be vestibular migraine- there is overlap and confusion between the 2 conditions. A workup with an ENT and neurologist is probably warranted. I had to have brain mri to rule out other conditions, and I've had 2 VNG tests by the ENT over the last 3 yrs that have now ruled out Menieres. I am left with migraine as a diagnosis.

• Posted

Hearing isn't affected at all and no tinnitus either. I was wondering if it could be vestibular migraine but each episode I've had has take 3 to 4 weeks to recover back to normal sad

• Posted

Sounds more like Meniere’s versus Vestibular Neuritis. Not sure what VB is, though. Vestibular Neuritis recurs in only 5% of those initially affected and I have read nothing that indicates that it can become an ongoing recurrent issue. 
    • Posted

Sorry that should have been VN not VB lol. I have no hearing issues or tinnitus at all just sudden onset of severe vertigo and it usually takes 3 to 4 weeks to get back to normal. I have nystagmus with the vertigo so it's confirmed to be vestibular. I was told that once you've had it it's common to get it again??

• Posted

I did not think it was common for VN to recur. But I'm not a Dr. Could it be shingles or herpes cold sore virus affecting vestibular nerve? Do they treat you with prednisone when you've had attacks? If so, did it work?

• Posted

No, I've been prescribed stemetil to help with the dizziness. I've spoken to my doctor again this morning and she said that once you've had it it can be triggered again quite easily by congestion and the last 2 times I've had it I've had a cold sad

• Posted

Ok. No hearing symptoms, then not likely to be menieres. VN rarely recurs, but when it does they call it benign recurrent vertigo. A very generic name because they don't know what is causing it- some think migraine related, but the bottom line is that they don't know. The fact that this recurs with colds and congestion for you makes me wonder if a short course of prednisone may be helpful if the Dr thinks congestion is playing into this. Short courses are given here in the US for both vertigo and severe congestion. So it might be worth a try? It has helped stop my dizzies before, as prednisone can treat a variety of dizzy disorders such as menieres and even migraine.

• Posted

Thanks Lizzy, I'll see what my doctor says on Monday. I do have a supply of presidone at home as I'm asthmatic and need it at hand if I have a flare up or chest infection!

• Posted

My last dizzy attack was this past spring. They gave me a steroid burst/taper... Something like 2 days at a higher dose, then tapering down in dose over 5-7days. I have to say it took about 4 or 5 days to see major improvement. Good luck!
  • Posted

I know have an official diagnosis of BPPV!
    • Posted

Could i ask please. How did you get a diagnosis so fast? Just through your GP? Has your GP just had a guess at VN then changed his mind to BPPV?

I've been severely dizzy and off-balance for over 57 weeks 24/7, non-stop. My GP couldn't care less and after begging for help nearly 20 times in a year, a visit to A&E, i've given up with him, also through the fear that i might give him a slap! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.