Does anyone get morning dread / waking anxiety on Mirtazapine?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Im currently on citalopram and the morning anxiety and waking anxiety is horrendous.

I wonder if anyone on Mirtazapine has suffered the same? As my doctor has hinted at changing me to it?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello, if you are able to manage the anxiety on your own please do so, going on mirtazapine just for anxiety is not a great idea...I'm only telling you from experience, cause it made me feel good while I was taking it but now I'm going through withdrawals and is the worst thing, maybe ask your doctor, but honestly I don't think any doctor in the whole planet knows exactly what to do when it comes to this pill, they say is non habit forming but as soon as you stop taking it the body literally begs for it, I've read that while you withdraw your symptoms come back even stronger like anxiety, depression, loss of appetite but if you start taking the pill the all stop....if that's not been addictive I don't know what is😪😪😪😪😪 I'm having the absolute worst time of my life, and no Health insurance, no job...Gid please help us all

• Posted

I see what you are saying but im pretty sure citalopram is making my anxiety worse and i want my life back.

My doctor hinted that he may try me on it if 30mg citalopram doesnt work.

• Posted

Can i ask how fast are you tapering off mirt ?

I tried to go from 45 to 37.5 and it was hell so had to reinstate am going to try dropping by 10% to 41mg and see what happens. Ive been told if you do it slow enough it is doable. Some people seem to come off it with no problems at all.

• Posted

Hi Sarah, I did it abruptly without any intention to do so, so be careful and try doing it as slowly as possible, make sure that you don't stop eating even if your not hungry, get chamomile tea, b-vitamin supplements, and nausea medication...At was on 30mg for a while and stopped suddenly without even trying buy the time I realized I was going through withdrawals it was to late to do a tapper, and it freaked me out so I just want it out of my system and never go back on it...hope my reply helps...and also keep well hydrated and if you work take time of as soon as you feel sick cause it got really bad for me but maybe cause I didn't tapper down...good luck🙏

• Posted

your best bet really is to reduce the citalopram as these symptoms are more a sign of neuro toxicity which is why it is worse after taking it.  As Candy mentioned, withdrawal occured coming off mirt but truth be told, it happens with all psych meds because they cause the nervous system to remodel in opposition to their actions.  You must come off slowly, no more than 10% per month of previous dosage, to allow the nervous system to gradually adapt back.  Most in your situation begin to feel better as they reduce.
  • Posted

Neil did you have anxiety before Citalopram?  I took Cit' and it never helped me either.  I went on 15mg Mirt and it knocked me for six, there is a huge sedation effect with Mirt' and for me personally it never left, was with me 24/7, big weight gain, and terrible to discontinue due to withdrawal.  

And yes, I've read the higher doses of Mirt can increase anxiety.

Hope this helps a little.

• Posted

Yes i had some...but its got much much worse. Especially in the mornings and after taking the citalopram.

Id rather be sedated than wake up dreading the day and anxious.

• Edited

I see this post is from some time ago but i feel need to contribute to this.

I take Mirtazapine, I get the same morning dread, the uncontrollable feeling of something that you have done that will devastate you.

I have learnt to ride this wave of 30 minutes of heart breaking and physical worry, it does pass. i have grown to accept that this will happen and i just ride with it.

I take my tablet at night so I am not at risk of injuring staff doing my job as a highly trained and experienced FLT driver.

I wake up n just chill and wait for the horror to pass......the dark in the morning will and always passes, you just gotta get on with your day.

Stay strong, you are all good. 🙂🙂🙂

• Posted

lovely post Dave and so true. Just have to ride the Cortisol wave first thing in the morning and remember it passes. It always does.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.