Does anyone get the feeling of something in the knee moving

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I am 10 weeks post op and delighted with my progress. I have 130 degree bend and fully straight when stretched out. I ride my bike and walk half a mile a day. I knit down for the first time today. I going to go swimming next week.

Does anyone get the feeling now and again when walking that something is wobbling in the knee or is this the numbness.

I have no pain at all. I massage the scare twice daily with vitamin E cream and it's very smooth now.

Every day is a different day.

For anyone that has not long had a full knee replacement

keep up with the physio it's so important and don't try and rush your healing. Take each day as it comes and good luck. One more thing the ice pack is a God send I used it 4-6 times a day .

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

well done you no pain ,130 deg.and fully straight . id say thats a full house !!!!

the way to look at it the knee is never going to feel like your own and fweird feeling in the knee is nothing to worry about just remember its mecanical so thats why at 10 wks you are on the good road x

• Posted

Well done Kim!  Sounds like you had a fantastic recovery!  Regarding the strange feeling, I have the same feelings after 14 weeks.  Doesn't feel quite right yet even though the pain has pretty much gone.

I mentioned to my dad that "it just feels weird", and he said "it always will"...

So there you have it

• Posted

Hi telcpa

My recovery certainly wasn't pain free and I'm no hero but looking back 10 weeks I've come a long way. It's hard at the beginning.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one with this strange feeling. I had another reply which stated that the knee is mechanical and will always feel weird. That pretty much hit the nail on the head.. so if that is any consolation to you as well. Good luck with your recovery. Onwards and upwards....

• Posted

Tighten up your quads.  It will then help everything fit into place and stop the feeling of the wobble
    • Posted

yes i would agree with you suiesobel strenghtening those muscles will give you more stability
    • Posted

Thank you all the advise given. It has been so helpful. It's nice to know there are people out there that can give such good advise.
  • Posted

Yes Kim. Around 4 months now and I still get that,almost every time I move it I can feel it. The physiotherapist actually heard it a few weeks ago. If I shake my leg I can feel it. But just over a week ago I saw the surgeon and he sais xrays were fine. That if any problem he would have told me. i asked about the clicking and he said nothing to worry about. Do you still get a feeling of a band around your knee? Ive got that also but am not too worried. People on here,plus the surgeon,say if no pain nothing to worry about. A bit of advice that I got regarding swimming was dont do breast stroke. Walking in the water is very good for you,do yopour exercises in there.

John.

• Posted

Hi John

I do get the clicking but my surgeon warned me about that so not to fussed. It's so good to hear that all you guys feel like something is wobbling around as well thought.I do feel like there is a band around my knee but I don't mind that. I have been swimming but yes very gentle movements. I say listen to your body it will tell you what you can and can't do. I have no pain a all and cycling certainly help as well.

• Posted

Don't shake your leg.  Work on your quads, once they are strong everything else will fall into place and the clicking will stop. 
    • Posted

Thanks sueisobel. What would be best quad exercises please? 
    • Posted

It does depend on how active you are.  Do you go to a gym? No matter how weak your muscles are, there are machines starting from light up to how strong can you go. If you are a mere mortal like most of us, the basic is with you leg flat on a surface (sofa, bed, floor) toes pointing towards your face, try to lift your leg up whilst keeping the back of your knee on the surface and flexing your muscles, hold as for as long as possible or a count of 30, release rest and so again, sounds easy, but.. Another is sitting on the edge of a chair, bed, with weights on your foot or around your ankle, lift your leg again for a count of 30, or longer.  The trick is to do as many as you can at a time, without over doing it. These are easy things. What you are doing at PT will most probably stretch you better.  sounds like you can do a fair distance.  Whatever you do, the main thing is all about controlling how you lift your leg using your thigh muscles.  There are 100's of ways, so be creative. If you don't control your muscles, your knee will continue to click, and you'll keep getting that awful feeling as you walk.  Trust me,it is doable.  It becomes a daily routine, but you will end up doing it without thinking; even whilst working (if you sit down a lot).  Even the way you walk up and down stairs (deliberate). Continue swimming, but use kicking controlled movements, no twisting,use the water as a resistance.  You will get there, the clicking will stop. You don't need my advice, you just need to know that contrary to what your consultant says, it will go.  Good luck
    • Posted

Thank you Sueisobel. I will try what you say,though I have been doing exercises every day. A cold has stopped me doing the gym but I am about to start going again. Dunno whether you already told me,but did you get rid of clicking in this way? If so,how long did it take? I see you have had 2 TKRs.
    • Posted

Hi John, hope your cold goes soon.

​Yes I did get rid of the clicking, in both knees. Unfortunately my body does not like "foreign objects"  (+ right knee is surgical steel and I am allergic to non-pure metal!!) and whilst they are not being rejected ie coming apart, pain is a constant friend.  Working on your quads should be a daily thing until you are 100% recovered as it is so easy for the muscles to atrophy (without you knowing).  It does not have to be actual workouts, but incorporate exercising the muscles as you go about your daly life.  I cannot walk far, but I can cycle to my hearts content. When I'm at work I am always tensing the muscles almost without thinking. That way I have one less thing to think about

• Posted

Thanks Sueisobel

Well Im doing the exercises religiously,both in and out of water but the moving feeling thatKim talks about shows no sign of going away after 4 months. Maybe it will hopefully,I wont be stopping my exercises for a very long time. Sorry to hear about your problems with the new knees. Your expression foreign objects is correct in my case. The operated doesnt feell like the other one,but I suppose it could still be early days. Ive done everything right,I think. But anyway,if this clicking as we call it,though its a feeling rather than a sound,continues if its the worst ive got to put up with Im not complaining. But will keep at it

John.

• Posted

I promise you, it will go, just keep working on specific muscles.  If the surgeons, when putting everything together, made it too tight, you would never have been able to bend your knee or get as far as you have now. Another one for you, sit on a chair, feet flat on the ground, knees bent 45 degress, (hands on knees if you have to) and using your muscles only, make as if you are getting up. You will feel the tension across your knee cap, thighs and glutes (the harder you push, the tighter the muscle), hold each move for a minute if you can, or as long as you can bear it.  Nice thing about this (if you sit down a lot) is if you do it properly, people around you are none the wiser! (Doing one leg at a time is even more discreet) and there is no limit

​Wishing you a happy Easter

• Posted

Thanks for that one also Sueisobel

Happy Easter to you also

John.

• Posted

You are most welcome.

Contrary to popular belief on the weather for the weekend, the sun is actually shining.

Have a good one

Sue

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.