Does anyone have a cochlear implant ?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Just saw my ENT who has suggested a cochlear implant for my left ear which has profound hearing loss.i also have moderate hearing loss in my right ear.he is afraid if I lose the hearing in my right ear I will be totally deaf .i now wear hearing aides in both ears.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Cochlear implant is a  very good option for your left ear if u have profound loss and limited benefit using a  conventional hearing aid. I would recommend contacting a cochlear implant support group in your local area. You will get to hear their stories , their whole implant journey ... That would be  a good starting point. Do look into it. Sucess rate is very high... As the ENT suggested if you were to start loosing hearing more in your good ear..... 

• Posted

I am going to a meeting of our local hearing loss association of America this Saturday ..I will ask them if we have a local support group for people with implants.there are also people who have implants who go to these meetings .i have an upcoming appointment with an audiologist to be evaluated and that's a good idea I can ask her about support groups !thank you ..I live in Virginia and I'm looking into the best surgeon to perform this ..any suggestions ?

• Posted

I went to my local HLAA meeting yesterday and spoke with 3 women who have bilateral cochlear implants so that was extremely helpful .my question to you as an audiologist is how comfortable are audiologists training patients who have had their implant surgery out of the area and not by a local surgeon .
  • Posted

I became completely deaf from an aggressive case of bilateral Meniere's Disease. When I went for surgery to have my cochlear implant, I had about 25% hearing left in the other ear, 2 days later, that ear lost all hearing so I was so happy I had opted for the implant!

I wish I could have had both sides done but in Ont, Canada, OHIP pays for one ear if you are over 18 and I cannot afford to pay for the other myself. I feel so lucky to be able to use the CI device.

Since this is an older question I am replying to, I am wondering what you decided and how you are doing?

Cathy 

• Posted

I just had surgery for my cochlear implant last Thursday and I'm at home recovering !the surgery was on my left ear and I'm glad I didn't need to wait any longer since I know I'm quickly losing my hearing on my right (better ) side !

• Posted

If you don't mind me asking how long ago was your surgery and how did your recovery go?

• Posted

I know this is an older posting but I wanted to let you know that I had my CI activated 3 weeks ago and I am LOVING it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.