Does anyone have a drink on blood thinners?

Posted , 7 users are following.

At the beginning I was so ill I couldn’t even think about having a drink! But now I have a couple of glasses of wine here and there, is that OK? I certainly can’t handle my drink like I used too and I wouldn’t go mad because knowing me I would fall over and bruise everywhere that wasn’t already bruised! But surely a couple of glasses of wine is ok.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Moon, alcohol does thin the blood but having a couple of glasses is fine, it is when people drink a lot it can cause problems. Enjoy,
  • Posted

I drink on the weekends I’m on warfarin for life, they say not to but I do anyway and I have more than a few glasses, I generally finish the bottle however I do mix it with sparkling water 💧!! I had a conversation with a paramedic few months back and he said a bottle wine 🍷 every day is okay, not that I do a bottle everyday!! 

• Posted

I started on blood thinners in March this year for life and did not drink alcohol for a long time as I felt so unwell.  However on holiday I have a glass of wine a night, but at home rarely drink nowadays.  Been on Folic Acid for 3 months, which does not go well with alcohol, but thankfully finished them last night.  I am sure drinking in moderation would not be harmful.  
  • Posted

I had 2 PEs and 1 DVT in Oct 2016 and did not drink a drop until a CTscan showed that they were all gone. But then I started having a glass or two at night. It is supposed to help keep your thin and I believe it after having a weeklong celebration with cousins. My INR went from a pretty constant 2. 7 to 4.3. Only thing different was that week. I do self testing at home so I am sure it was the wine. For the past month I have stopped drinking at all, just to lose weight, and now it is 1.3 and 1 4. Adjusted my coumadin but just know that if I bought wine again it would rise!!!!
  • Posted

Hi Moon

I had a significant embolism and am lucky to able to join this discussion. After a long recovery I have ended up on Warfarin for life. In my case I found that even moderate amounts of alcohol were effecting my INR. Therefore, I decided to give up alcohol totally. I feel much better for it and of course there is never a problem with "who is driving". It is much easier when you completely stop to just say to "persistent offerors"  I don't drink thank you and that stops them trying to persuade you! Good luck

Charlie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.