Does anyone have an explanation for sudden sharp pains every day after pneumothorax treated with oxygen?

Posted , 3 users are following.

My daughter is 14, healthy and athletic. In November she had a spontaneous pneumothorax. She recovered completely after about 2 weeks. She was completely pain free for about 1 week. Since then she has sudden sharp pains every day. Sometimes they last only one breath. Other times it will last almost all day. The first time it lasted all day she went in and had an XRay. Nothing showed up on it and the doctor didn't have an explanation. I told the doctor about a month ago that the pains have continued and she suggested pleurisy. I'm curious to know if you have had continued pain as well and if pneumothorax has ever reoccurred.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Beth , I had pneumothorax last year and continued to have sharp pains afterwards until I had surgery to correct it! I remember asking my consultant and he said it could be small air bubbles 'popping' in my lung. You could request for a CT chest scan to be carried out. Hope this helps. Sharon
  • Posted

Hi Beth, when you say your daughter fully recovered was that after an operation or did it just reabsorb?

I have had SP on both lungs and had vats procedure and a pleurectomy and always from time to time get pains. My consultant in his words said I should expect the odd nig and nags...its taken me back to hospital but X Ray shows nothing and this is what reassures me....hope that helps

• Posted

Thanks Sharon,

She had a CT and they found no blebs. Did they do a CT before your surgery? If so, did it show anything?

Are you completely pain free now?

Beth

• Posted

Hi Jonathan,

She did not have any procedures. They just used 100% oxygen and it reabsorbed. How long have you had the nig and nags? Years?

Beth

• Posted

Beth, I had a CT and it didn't show anything but my thoracic surgeon said he suspected I had Bullae and the surgery confirmed that. I had bullectomy, pleurectomy and pleural abrasion via VATS. I have had a few sharp pains since surgery in October but my lung is fully inflated so I am happy with that.

Sharon

• Posted

Hi Beth,

Touch wood it doesn't happen again!. Basically I still get the odd pains which I have become use to. In my case I have had a few SP over the last 10 years and still get the odd pains...Sometimes I think I might just have a very low pain threshold but the good news is that my lung is fully inflated and I live a normal life like anyone else...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.