Does anyone have any experience of topiramate?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I have always suffered migraine and take amitryptyline but it's not very effective my doctor suggested topiramate but I don't know anything about it and wondered if anyone in here had any advice?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I couldn't take it because it caused my throat to close, scared me to death, all my muscles got real tight and it was hard to breath. I found that Zomig did the same thing to me. I have been on Maxalt now for about 6 months with great results but I only take half a pill each time I get a MG and that is almost daily. I have sever chronic MG and it has been a life saver. I am not sure of the side effects of maxalt because I have other medical conditions and other medications its hard to tell. Good luck with what ever you choose to take I wish you relief and good health.
    • Posted

I know it's really difficult finding something that works and agrees with you.   I'm sure I've taken maxalt wafers a long time ago but I keep going back to imigran but do worry about the frequency but sometimes it's unavoidable and you just have to take them , more than you'd like. Thanks for your advice😀
  • Posted

Hi Janert

I am in the process of coming off toperimate. Thought I had had a stroke then we realised it was this awful drug - I could not remember people's names, I was struggling at work because I could not think straight! I lived life through a fog. Then added to the continuous abdo pain, aching limbs, loss of strength, pins & needles, extreme weight loss & hair loss - I was still getting 4 or 5 migraines starting a month that I was controlling with triptans. I am waiting to see a neurologist but would rather cope with the migraines again than this drug! But everyone is different and it may be what you need - just be aware of the possible side affects that can creep up on you

• Posted

Hi Sally thank you for the advice it sounds like you have many more problems now than just migraine, how awful.  I am usually sensitive to most medications and I think I would rather suffer a migraine than go through what you have had to. I will not even consider it now. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.