Does anyone have any food suggestions or recipes after gall bladder removal?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'd love to get some recipes and or food suggestions.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Is it very early days after op? if it is stay on bland food for a while until you know how you will react to different foods.

Make some Chicken and veg broth or something similar.

• Posted

For me, sticking to little and often for food post op has been best. I'm eating mostly fish, rice, a little organic meats and veggies, some fruit and oatmeal and an occasional treat of something like a tiny amount of dessert. Soups and casseroles without bad fats added are OK.

?Today, breakfast was oatmeal porridge with fresh blueberries and raspberries, lunch was chicken with a small avocado and bean salad. Supper was sea bass poached with lemon and pepper and root mash with peas. I had a small bit of low fat dessert as I have a sweet tooth but I am very careful.

?I try to stick to 80% very fresh, healthy food, but allow the small treats as I had to eat such a restricted diet last year before surgery, but I am still a little wary of food that I have not made and know what is in it! Jacket potatoes or sweet potatoes are a quick small meal. I miss cheese most but this is the food I also fear as it was a clear no no before the gallbladder was taken out. I also suffer from a hiatal hernia and diverticula so those can cause digestive issues of their own.

?Good luck for a healthy future!

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth,

I had my gallbladder out last Friday and have been eating completely normally since the operation with no ill effects whatsoever.  The evening after the op we ordered a takeout pizza! It's such a relief to be able to eat normally again and not have any pain.  I've been eating cheese and butter and chocolate and all the things I haven't eaten for 3 months. I don't know whether I'm just lucky but it's definitely worth trying eating normally first.  You'll soon work out if there's something that doesn't agree with you.  I think some people get diarrhoea if something doesn't agree with them but there won't be any pain because the gallbladder is gone.  I hope this helps.  No doubt you'll get other people reply who have had a totally different experience to me. Have you had your gallbladder out yet?

Bev

• Posted

Eat whatever you want to eat. If your problems were entirely related to the gallbladder then eat a normal diet, just like anyone else. But don't listen to us... the surgeon would have told you that. If you had some other digestion problem such as IBS, then you will need to deal with that as another matter altogether.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.