Does anyone have ANY idea what this could be?!

Posted , 4 users are following.

It started in May when I was getting some orange coloured mucus with my stools. It wasnt happening every day so I just put this down to my IBS and stress at university.

However, since then, my symptoms have worsened and arent getting any better. I am now passing soft, mushy-like stools that fall apart, they are orange/yellow/pale in colour and I am still getting the occasional orange mucus too. Today I even passed stools that were just a pure yellow liquid. My stomach has been extremely noisy and gurgly and it constantly feels like my intestines are full of liquid. I often get a dull pain at the bottom of my left rib cage and my acid reflux also seems to be worse. I have lost weight (even though I’m eating as normal) and I just generally feel crappy.

I went to my GP and she ran a blood test and some stool samples. She checked my FBC, thyroid, LFT, tTG, and also bacteria in my stools. The results came back fine, but they did find that I am aneamic (which would explain why I feel so weak and tired all the time). She wants to run another blood test to check my ferritin, but I feel like she has discarded my stomach altogether.

Does anyone have any clue what this could be? Im going insane, I am so so stressed. Im supposed to be starting a new job next Wednesday!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Could be an IBS flare up esoecially if you are starting a new job. Stress worsens IBS.
  • Posted

Hi, So sorry for all your health problems. I wish the answer was obvious but when symptoms are so complex my first thought is a bacteria. Known or unknown bacteria, my self treatment would be Pepto-Bismol or as they call it in the U.S. Big Pink. After that see where you are. Hope this helps you.

Best wishes.

Ron

• Posted

I went back to the doctors yesterday, and I was prescribed Lansoprazole to see if it helps with my loose stools. I have also been instructed to do another stool sample to test for h pylori.

However, I am fully aware that PPI’s such as Lansoprazole can lead to malabsorption and iron deficiency! So I am unsure wether I want to take them or not.

I genuinely feel as though my GPs aren’t taking me seriously. This is so frustrating.

• Posted

Not sure why you have been given a PPI for loose stools.  PPIs are for heartburn.   Do you have heartburn? Taking a PPI short term should not be a problem. Your doctor would not prescribe you drugs that he or she thought would be harmful. For loose stools or diarrhoea, Imodium works best.  Bananas and rice also help to firm you up.  Also ask your doctor abour codeine which is also works.
    • Posted

I have acid reflux. She has only prescribed them for a month.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.