Does anyone have any suggestions on how to manage my pain or advice on the best pain relief??

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have recently been taken off servedol and the docs are changing me pain relief nearly every week and nothing is working I just wondered if any of you could give me advice on how the manage my pain or if any if you have found the best painkiller for fibromyalgia I would be grateful for any advice given 

Sarah-jayne 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Everyone’s different and also it would take more than a week to see an effect, most people find they need a combination of medication, I take cocodamol, tramadol, amitriptyline and naproxen daily plus morphine and diazepam for really bad times, I tried everything before I found the right medication and dose, I also take medication for overlapping conditions associated with fibromyalgia, which are just as important to identify as they can contribute, I also find CBT oil really helpful and therapy’s like hydrotherapy and massage, also diet and exercise, hope you find the right balance for you. smile 
  • Posted

Diet and exercise dont help at all. Medication your body gets used to it so it's best to try and only take the meds when the pain is to much .i tried physio it maid me so much worse massage didn't help. Only thing that I find dose help when the pain is at it's worst is 2 tramadol 50mg each 2 pregablin 300mg each 1 amertripterline 20mg and a red hot bath and it help for a bit

• Posted

Hi Sarah-Jayn 

I am 33 and I have had fibro for 3 years.  Iv tried nearly all medications and the side effects were terrible. Efexer was the worst ones I tried. I experienced electric shock feelings in my entire body specially in my feet when I walked that would travel to my whole body. That lasted months. I’m now on Lexprim (paracetamol and tamadol) I am trying to ween off them slowly because they don’t do a lot but every time I miss a dose I get the electric shock feels again. I used to take 8 a day and I’m down to 4-5 tabs but can’t seem to drop any more. 

I am taking amitriptyline for 2 years 50mg a night. They take about 1-2hrs to make me drowsy and then iv no choice other than go to bed. I am so used to them now I know what time I should take them at before I go to bed. 

In the morning I feel hungover and really stiff but it doesn’t last long (maybe 20-30mins) I actually can’t remember if it’s the amitriptyline or the Lexprim that makes me feel like that because Iv been taking the Lexprim since last June. 

My memory is so bad I forgot what happened 10 mins ago. My husband says I’m always repeating myself. I have to keep reminders on my phone to remind myself of simple things like feeding the dogs or making lunch for my son!! Things people take for granted. 

I was with my doc about 3 months ago to ask him for another medication to try and he said I have exhausted all treatments. Devastated!! 

He told me to go home and smoke weed! Weed helps a lot but obviously I can’t smoke it and drive or even go to work (I work full time as a social care worker) so have to keep that for night times. 

I was in A&E Monday’s night because when I went to my GP and my heart rate and temperature  was high and I had chest tightness and I was gasping for breath. 

They left me sitting in A&E for 10 hours and then told me It was my fibro causing it!!! Absolute joke. Went back to my doctors and he gave me antibiotics and steroids

Having this illness is so hard to manage cause every single symptom you have is put down to fibromyalgia. It’s so hard to know if your “actually sick” or if you have just another symptom.  

I have started to take Triple Omega 3,6,9. Alive women’s energy and recently ( 2 weeks) Tumeric (all food supplements) tablets. I was really good on the Omega and Alive tablets but then started the turmeric and I got a bad flare which I’m going through now. I’m bound to go through my flares but I do question turmeric now obviously. I’m going to keep taking them for awhile and see how it goes. 

I  also started yoga 4 weeks ago and it’s brilliant. Don’t get me wrong it’s quite sore but my mental health is much better and my body is getting stronger. 

Sorry hun I’m blabing on now. Try go on the amitriptyline. Unfortunately no treatment will take the pain away trust me Iv tried and tested most and had to deal with the withdrawals and it’s just not worth it. We go through enough symptoms than having that on top of it. 

My advice is 

Yoga (for mental and physical health) Omega 3,6,9 and Alive (for good nutrition and brain function) my memory is a little better since Iv started them. 

Smoking weed (please don’t drive or go to work, keep it for night times) 

CBD oil (contains a little cannabis, but no high) is great you can buy drops. It tastes absolutely rotten but you can now Vape it and it comes in all sort of flavors. Haven’t tried the Vape I only heard about it the other day. I’m getting it this week so I’ll keep you updated xx

Gentle hugs and kisses

Victoria xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.