Does anyone have archilles tendon rupture long ago?

Posted , 7 users are following.

If u faced archilles tendon rupture long ago in your past.plase share your experience.is it good right now or still facing any problem..please reply must .I had surgery 7 months ago and still I couldn't stand on my toes and can't walk normally.so please share your journey if u faced the same.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I had surgery about a year ago. I'm fine with the exception of some slight numbness in my toes. Therapy is ongoing and very important.

• Posted

There are many reasons why you may be having difficulties. I hope you are having Physiotherapy. If not, I can't advise strongly enough for you to go to physio. Talk with Dr and with PT regarding your level of activity.

I just recommended a Facebook page that I have found. If you are on FB, check it out. Lots of emotional support to be found there and people who are going thru what you are. It is called: Achilles Tendon Rupture Group.

Good luck. Don't give up. Don't stop stretching and working those muscles.

• Posted

Hi! I had brevis tendon repair in my foot 5 months ago and still just walking on 1 crutch and in pain..everyone is different, PT is a must!!!! There will be good days and bad, No one warns you about how hard recovery is after  foot surgery and it can get depressing..but you will get better!!!! it takes a lot of patience (which I have none but I'm learning) I assumed I'd be walking in 3 months but I'm sure it's going to be a lot longer. Tendon repair can take a year for full recovery. feel free to message me on facebook if u need to vent. I completely understand. Becky Resnick Calabrese on facebook. wishing you the very best in healing.

• Posted

Good luck with your healing and agree that most people heal from this tendon repair painfully slowly. For the first ten weeks I noticed some progress on a weekly basis but now it seems like its every two weeks to notice any real gains. I dont think anyone has the patience for this repair.

Im at 15 weeks and walking for up to an hour with slight limp but can potter around all day no problem. I'm nowhere near doing solo heel lifts and  I'd like to think I will be walking without a limp in a month but it's going to be more like 2 months in reality.

• Posted

What’s good is that your actually walking! You will be ok 😊 I’m constantly afraid that I’m going to take a year just to not need some kind of walking aid. But we have to keep persevering!! I also got nerve damage in the surgery which is making things more difficult. I’m just sick of the pain. Remember just keep going😊😊😊

• Posted

Hello breeze61. I am 64 and 17 months post injury - non-op. It took me to about 7 months to stop limping. You have to really concentrate on both legs. My good leg was always trying to compensate, even when no longer required to do so. And yes, the gains were microscopic many weeks.  But even at 17 months, I still see those gains. I have incorporated a daily stretching/strengthening routine, starting when I am brushing my teeth in the morning. lol.  Usually do it in a lunge, or stretch position. I still have residual morning stiffness and slight numbing under my foot. My sister had a similar injury some 30 years ago and did not (still doesn't) consistently follow a  therapy program. She limps noticeably and crab-crawls up and down the stairs. She was my inspiration to never stop stretching and strengthening.

• Posted

Hello, yes I am able to run much as before. Bearing in mind that I wasn't a runner prior. However, I have tested myself and no issues that I can detect. Single foot toe raise, yes no problem. Single foot heel raise is the one area I have weakness in. I can do it, but I wobble for balance and I can feel the achilles working to maintain the raise. I had stopped heel raise exercises as I thought I had overcome that weakness. Maybe I had. I don't really know now.  But I have taken to doing heel raises every morning - single and double, to keep what I have. Hope this makes sense.  

• Posted

I think for me - my most active prior activity was golfing and occasional swimming. Gardening too. For exercise I used to ensure I got in a daily walk of 10K. Now, I walk about 5K most days and some up to 7K. Only occasionally do I get to 10K. Legs get pretty tired by then. Swim more. Back to gardening. 
  • Posted

I had full rupture about 18 months ago and surgery followed. Was 8 weeks in plaster then 6 weeks in boot. The best thing I did was as soon as I was out of plaster I started private Physio once/twice a week. By the time I went to Physio via nhs I was walking and able to go onto tip toes. I can’t emphasize how going to Physio will help you along. After about 7-8 months after surgery I was back to normal with no limp, pain or any issues. Hope you recovery goes well. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.