Does anyone have experience of persistent leg swelling 8 months after multiple pulmonary emboliians

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had multiple pe last year and have been left with swollen legs one much more then the other- has anyone e periwnce of this and how to manage it?

Thanks

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi sue,

I'm only new to pulmonary embolisms, I was diagnosed about 10 weeks ago with multiples in each lung. Depending on the size of the clots, their locations, etc etc my GP informed me that it can be ages, generally 6 + months  before the body takes care of them, either by dissolving or scarring, same goes for the swelling of the leg(s) and breathlessness and some other of the symptoms. I was told to keep moving around but not to over do it and one week you could feel like brand new again, then, the next feel like absolute crap the next.

The only advice I could offer is to keep legs elevated, maybe with a hot water bottle under your calf muscle(s) if it /they are aching, and go back and see your GP for professional advice.Not much help really I suppose but this happens with me and at this stage that's what's been told to me, takes time.

• Posted

Have you been told anything about having a DVT in your leg and about post thrombotic syndrome? sheila.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.