Does anyone have experience with pseudoscience-believing family members?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Does anyone have experience or suggestions for dealing with family members, parents who do not have the same level of scientific understanding and do not believe in medicine?

This is honestly a personal and medical struggle, just not the usual kind people are used to dealing with. It's like if your mom or dad were anti-vaccines. It's really imperative to deal with issues like those, except it's not easy.

In my particular case, I'm an American-educated sciences person. My family members or parents in question are not, and the problems begin from there. They have been really pulled into this NuSkin product and gone to fantastic levels to justify and believe in this veritable pyramid scheme's products. Stupid? Yes, really stupid. But nevertheless I have to figure out how to deal with it somehow.

The source is probably my serious dermatological issues. They don't believe in doctors, who 'never solve issues' and western medicines are just 'eat this pill'. Well, I don't think doctors are perfect or anything although these beliefs cause issues and encourages them to look for nonsensical solutions and pseudosciences. If I'll come back from the doctor (or today, video chats) they'll for instance jump for joy if anything that they said is confirmed.

Basically they believe that their solutions, lotions, voodoo medicines and whatevers have been successful.

I would appreciate suggestions or pointers for ways with dealing with these types of issues and I can elaborate. I think it's comparable to dealing with people who don't believe in vaccinations, and I'm sure there's some way which people deal with that.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Sometimes you just have to let this sort of thing not get to you.Its much more difficult however when its members of your own family and I guess you are worried that they may come to harm because of their ideas and beliefs. Its also very frustrating.

Try to ignore them and dont let them wind you up...which they may be doing if they know you are very opposed to their ideas.

Be satisfied that you are educated enough to know how to treat your body and dont indulge in any conversation with them about crank ideas, and dont let them know if something appears to agree with their ideas, and never be persuaded to try out something you dont want.

Let them waste their money on whatever they want and sometimes it will appear to cure them but often its a case that it would have cleared up anyway.

You are not responsible for how others like to lead their lives. Just smile, keep quiet and walk away.

Incidentally we are seeing a lot of ideas like this recently. Many people seem to have their own non scientific views about how to treat and prevent Covid.

• Posted

Well, I see. Thank you, I appreciate your explanation, I guess I was assuming that doctors or medical professionals may have been aware how to best deal with these such situations or people.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.