Does anyone have positive stories about Citalopram?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I know I keep seeing tons of negative feedback about this drug on this forum. But I for one am really starting to love the way I feel & who I am lately on this medication. I just feel much more relaxed & I'm not freaking out over odd little things every day of my life. There are annoying side effects for me too. But they are so worth the benefits to me. The first few weeks were nerve wracking. I had the shakes, felt nervous. Felt dizzy & tired/groggy after taking it. It's week 6 now & I still wake up at 2-3 am & can't go back to sleep some nights. But started taking Tylenol PM & it is working! So now I've solved that problem. Another problem is, I cannot "get off" (have an orgasm) with my husband AT ALL! This has never been a problem for me, so it's weird & I know it's the medication. We'll just have to keep trying to find a solution to that rolleyes and the last side effect that is hard for me is alcohol! I cannot drink too much on this without turning into a psycho! Seriously, 2 beers is the limit for me or else it's a roller coaster, nightmare, spiral! But those 3 annoyances are things I am willing to deal with & try to figure out because of how great I feel during my days now. I also stopped smoking cigarettes completely after 10yrs of smoking a pack a day!! I don't know how, or why? I guess I'm just not nervous or anxious anymore so I don't want them? So strange but I'm so much happier in general! Anyone else actually find taking Citalopram worth it? Let me know!

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rachel, I too find it more good than bad now. I've had quite a few stressful months and I feel like I've dealt with them quite well compared to how I would have not on Cit. My side effects are excessive sweating, not being able to orgasm (which is annoying as in a fairly new relationship but my partner is very understanding), and have restless sleeps. Still weighing up if I want to continue or try something else as since taking Cit my IBS has been under control tho not sure if that's a coincidence as I started taking probiotics around the same time.

That's great you managed to give up smoking, well done x

• Posted

Hi im on day 5 of cit and feel rotten not sleepin feelin sik and burning all over please tell me this gets better soon
    • Posted

Hi Tammy

Feeling sick was the worst for me. Can't stand it and it made me feel desperate. It does get better within 7 days. If you just can't deal with it get some Domperidone from the doctor. It cuts nausea feelings out within 20 mins. Good luck

• Posted

Hi alex how long u been on them and have your side effects gone
    • Posted

My side affects were as follows. I started early August.

1st Week (Hell)

Shaking

Sick (Nausea)

Tingling arms with warm flushes

Panic attack during sleep

Totally weak

Rumbly tummy

No libido

Loss of appetite (living on bananas and toast and lost nearly 2 stone till today.)

This all eased by the second week, so much so that I went to Lille, France as it was already booked. I took it easy.

I continued to have on and off for 5 weeks ,

slight dizziness

Feeling drunk

Derealisation

No libido

This makes a total of 6 weeks.

Now all the symptoms have gone except libido. You have to build your confidence again.

I've just come back from a lovely restful week in Lanzarote and felt good everyday, a little low yyesterday in the evening but good again today. So all in all I think 8 weeks is the minimum until you will feel more normal again.

I have been on CBT too through this time also.

I don't want to be on meds for a long time and want to come off as soon sits possible.

Hope this helps

• Posted

Thanx alex only on day 5 and feel rotten got no get up and go so do u think i should c a change by next week then
    • Posted

The sleep didn't get better for me, but I've been taking Tylenol pm & that worked for me. I still sweat and get hot a little but not as bad as at first. Good luck! I hope it gets better

• Posted

Hi rachael01403...lovely to read that this medication is working for you as it is for me too!! To be honest...it's been a life saver!! I'm currently on week 4 so very early days as yet...but I have had NO SIDE EFFECTS at all whatsoever upto now...in fact...very bizzarely...what people describe as side effects...where all the symptoms I was suffering from BEFORE I started taking Citalopram!! I suffered for weeks..possibly a few months with this awful painful headache in the back of my head and above my eyebrows...I couldn't eat anything...(I lost a stone within 4 weeks) I was so tired and lethargic constantly...I felt frightened..and confused!! I would talk and forget what I was talking about mid sentence...and randomly say words that didn't make sense!! I got to where I didn't want to leave the house because I thought I was going mad and was frightened of doing or saying something wrong!! Sounds absolutely crazy to me now...but I can't tell you how bad I felt!! The agitation was the worse...I'm a single mum of 2 children...and I have been for 11 years!! I've never relied on anybody and emotionally and financially been my children's rock all there lives!! I walked in to an argument between them one day...and I completely lost it...I wanted to smash my house up and run away!! That was my turning point!! I slept that night for 14 hours and woke feeling awful again!! I rang my GP!! I went that day!! He was more than concerned!! He ran a couple of tests there and then..and the first thing he noticed was my pulse was racing!! At 102 when ideally is should be no higher than 70!! He then asked about my life!! I'd lost my mum to a devastating stroke the year before...and also found out that my boyfriend was a lying cheat!! But instead of grieving I cracked on and put it to the back of my mind...concentrated on making sure my kids was ok and looking after my dad...and just to make my life that little more hectic to forget my problems..I also changed my career!! I now had 2 jobs instead of 1...and one of them jobs was working night shifts...so didn't really get much sleep!! But I needed to provide for my kids...if I didn't who would!! So whilst I was looking after everybody...my brain must of been on total overload...filled with stress and anxiety!! I almost laughed when the doctor offered me anti depressants!! I'm not sad I said...in fact I feel nothing!! I was desperate so I took one!! Within hours my headache started to lift...I couldn't believe it...I'd had that headache for weeks and weeks!! On taking 10mg for 5 days...that awful feeling started to come back again!! I rang my doctor and he told me to up it to 20mg...and just like magic...the headache had gone!! So far I've never looked back!! I have my appetite back...and after sleep I feel rested!! I did worry thinking 'surely this is too good be true No I'm gunna relapse' then I laughed...thinking look at me bludy worrying again...when there's nothing to worry about!! I honestly would never believe I was so stressed and suffer from anxiety...I'm not ashamed or embarrassed...it's just life and circumstances...and sometimes I think we care too much...which isn't a bad attribute to have!! So ye...I'm with you huni...it's working for me..and just wished it worked for everyone x

• Posted

Hi claire im on 10 mg and have been for 5 days and feel rotten dont know if its side effects or all in my head feel like ive got no get up and go and lost a stone in weight
    • Posted

Awww Tammy..I'm really sorry to hear this...and I honestly genuinely sympathise with you. How did you feel before you started on the medication? Did you feel like I did? Was you tired all the time and didn't feel rested? My GP upped my tablets because I felt so much better in them first 4 days and started to relapse again...with the onset of the headache and the confusion coming back!! He did say 10mg is only very slight and normally people start on 20mg! Maybe you should go back to your GP and talk to him darlin,..tell him how they are making you feel...he may up the dose..or maybe try you on something else!! Sending a big hug to you!! Ps...what time of day do you take it? I take mine at 2.30pm in the afternoon!! Sometimes it takes me about an hour to wind down when I get in bed...but when I'm asleep I don't wake till morning (or afternoon depending if I'm on a night shift) x

• Posted

Just felt abit down claire ive got an underactive thyroid has well and i take myn in the morning on day 5 now and dont feel like they have made any difference
    • Posted

I would deffo go back to see your doctor...maybe the treatment for your thyroid needs changing as apose to being on the citalopram!! I know you would do anything to feel better darlin...do me a favour...ring your GP first thing in the morning and get an appointment!! Tell him/her x
    • Posted

Amazing Claire!! I'm so glad to hear that you're feeling better about life! I had tried fluoxetine (Prozac) before this & was on it for about 3 years but it didn't help as much as this is. I was on 20mg of the Citalopram from the get-go. It's worked wonders. I hope everyone on here finds something that works for them as well. Life is just too short to not be totally happy??

• Posted

Alex im takin it for anxiety but feeling depressed now cus of side effects carnt seam to get myself rite
    • Posted

I know exactly how you feel Tammy. You feel ill and just want your life back. The good news is you WILL get your life back. Of course when you are going through it you just can't see that this will be the case. I felt some positive effects after 2/3 weeks but was still nervous a little after all the side effects that I had been through but I'm week 8 now and pretty much leading a normal life. Just came back from the Canaries. For me I still feel a little down from time to time but my physical symptoms have mostly gone now.

If you want to know anything key me know.

• Posted

Im only on day 6 and feel as if there is no change at all alex
    • Posted

Tammy. Can you tell me what your symptoms were before. What they are now please.
    • Posted

Before i just felt low in mood and not eating now they r hot flushes burning skin still not eatin properly not being able to sleep and just feel low in general like ive got no get up and go
    • Posted

Hi Tammy

yeah, all the things you mention apart from the original symptoms are side effects, NOT YOU.  They will subside.  I take them cause I was having panic attacks and was feeling ill all day everyday.   The side effects made me so much worse to start with.  They do subside.  

To to fully get to work I would give them six weeks.  You won't be suffering all that time though just 6 weeks to get back to normal. 

• Posted

Thanx alex i just want to get over feelin like this and get bk to sum sort of normal life

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.