Does anyone have some indepth knowledge about the disease process of AS?

Posted , 11 users are following.

On another AS forum an individual said that even if you stop the pain and soreness of the inflammation of AS or just stop the inflammation, the disease process keeps going. He said the chemicals produced by the inflammatory cells breaks down healthy tissue, leaves scar tissue which calcifies and turns into bone. The end result in ankylosis or bony fusion. He seemed to indicate that the only way to slow or maybe even halt this process was through a regular regimin of either NSAID's, DMARD's, or TNF Alpha Blockers.

I would think that if you stop the inflammation that the disease process would stop. But maybe thats not true. Maybe once the inflammatory cells release those chemicals that even arreating the inflammation will not have any effect on the process of damage to tissue then scar tissue, then calcification, then bony fusion. Are any of these drugs designed to slow down or halt this process? 

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanks Rose and TreatMeGently.Rose, I live in the pacific norhwest of the United States. Isn't the internet cool, I can share thoughts and ideas with people on the other side of the world.

TreatMeGently, the contribution to gut permiability is one ot the reasons I avoid taking NSAID's. Also I read about the fecal matter transfer from a doctor here in the states. The results seem good for a number of conditions.

Take care guys.

• Posted

Hey Andrew, I'm in the Pacific NW also! I was wondering your thoughts on Tylenol as opposed to NSAIDS? Do you think Tylenol does the same damage to our digestive system?
    • Posted

My intuition tells me that most drugs are not good for our digestive tract but more specifically tylenol contains acetaphemenon ( I am sure I misspelled that) which can be especially toxic to the liver. Tylenol does not inhibit the Cox-1 enzyme which plays a role in protecting the lining of the stomach from it's own acids. My personal feeling is that most drugs used as a bridge is probably okay, it is the longer term use that I avoid..

Thanks for your reply to this thread Gail. 

• Posted

Thanks Andrew. I know you are right of course, but I sort of depend on my Tylenol to get me thru the night. Have you heard, or do you know of any sleeping aids that might help with getting a good night's sleep and aren't ultimately harmful in the long run? I honestly can't remember when I last slept through the night.
    • Posted

I know what you mean Gail, I have the same issue. I am starting to do something very different for treating my overall health that uses visualization that has been very effective for helping people to loss weight and keep it off. Even though weight loss is not the issue here you can use visualization for just about any issue. Just google Jon Gabriel and it should lead you to his website. The guy went from 409 pounds to 185 in the course of 2.5 years through use of visualization. This could be a form of treatment that could help or even eliminate all your issues including getting off tylenol. But in the meantime I thin tylenol is a good bridge Jon Gabriel has a great book our called "Visualization for Weight Loss". Again even though it says weight loss, it is the one of the best books I have read on improving your healh.. .

• Posted

Valerian is a good natural sleep aid for me thats not a drug. I use Tizanadine prescribed but I am also researching any natural remedy. Pain at night is horrible! I always thought of bedtime as my only relief but now I dread it!
  • Posted

Yes it gets worse I have it in every ligament every part of body one eye also, 30 years ago lower back only.
  • Posted

Interferential current stimulation (IFS Machine very good but expensive to buy one $5000
  • Posted

Jhii andrew

I am 18 I had this pain n inflammation in my knee about 3 yrs back in my knee then in my hips I took some painkillers as my doctor told its aurtheritis but again after 1 year it attacked me that pain was too much it happened in my hips then shoulders and also reached my upper jaw. I took saaz ds its tablet then again after like 1month everything was right. Now from last 1 yr I have taken no medicine but I took some Ayurvedic tablets n right now I don't have any pain or flares

I read yr discussion n it would be very helpful if you can tell what is it exactly that's happening to me. I am 18 right now. Should I start my course because something like this with less intensity once happened to my brother but it never happened to him again. What is it?? Help me its is AS???

• Posted

Hello sachin,

You should probalby go see a Rhuematologist to get a more precise diagnosis....with the involvement you have all over your body it is hard to say I am not a medical professional. My understanding of AS is that thiere is usually involvement of the sacroiiliac joints which they usually do x-rays to see and they do a blood test to see if you are HLA-B27 positive which most with AS are.

Anyway I would encourage you to see a Rhuematologist as they are most experienced in dealing with these arthritic conditions.

• Posted

For 4 yrs., RH factor, in bloodwork results taken by GP showed I had RA.  Saw a rheumatologist 9 mos. ago For consultation re: knots on wrist (inhibiting ROM in yoga).  Totally surprised his bloodwork results showed I was positive for ASA.  Also, he said my hypothyroidism was Hashimoto's and he changed the medication.  A few months later, I developed psoriasis and now my diagnosis is psoriatic spondylitis arthritis.  On the new thyroid med., I have more energy.  Exercising, as mentioned, keeps my joints from aching as much...yoga and walking are my favorite exercises.  However, I do lift weights, spin and do a high impact class with modifications.  After several  bouts of tendonitis (quads and shoulder), I am listening to my body and being more of PsA.  I also firmly believe in physical therapy....the exercises  have helped my tendonitis and alleviate the nagging aches I have in my low back and hips (thought it was sciatica or piriformus muscle tightness until I was diagnosed).  For our type of arthritis, sleeping without a pillow is recommended (helps me) and my rheumatologist suggested getting an inversion table....alleviates my hip/low back aches.  I am on meds for psoriasis but not the arthritis.  ALL of these (Hashimoto's, psoriasis, and PsA) are autoimmune disorders.  I do believe there is validity to avoiding certain foods to improve gut flora.  I notice when I eat a lot of sweets, my psoriasis flares up.  Exercising, doing my PT exercises, being mindful of my posture while sitting, standing, walking are helping me deal with my issues.  
  • Posted

Hi, Andrew. No, I don't think any NSAIDs are made to slow the progression of AS- only to maybe relieve some of the inflammation it causes. The soreness and inflammation are symptoms, and not the cause. Some people have found that TNF blockers HAVE slowed the disease process, but it doesn't work for everyone. I, myself, have been on 2 different blockers. No dice. Maybe my insides are just as stubborn as I am. At any rate, with the NSAID warnings, I don't take my Duexsis every day any more. When I'm having a flare-up (which come at closer intervals now, I think. Or maybe it just seems that way to me. Not really sure), I'll take it, along with the pain meds. Sick of living on pills. Truly, I'm beginning to feel like an addict. Pills when I get up, pills throughout the day, and one to get to sleep. Jeez! Enough, already. Know what I mean? But, that IS how it is, at least for now... Till they can maybe find a cure. I'll be back, prob in a few weeks to say hi. Take care. (And, if u haven't read the FDA warning on NSAIDs, do yourself a favor and do read it.)
    • Posted

EMT929,

Sorry I missed your reply until now. I usually get tagged in my e-mail. ,,must have missed it. I knew the FDA had a Black Box warning on TNF Blockers but I didn't know they had one on NSAIDs. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.