Does anyone have this with ocd?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had ocd for most of my life I'm 35 now and have been on sertraline for a good few years however I recently changed to citalopram 3 weeks ago as I felt sertraline had lost its effects, the problem I'm having is remembering stupid things from childhood nothing bad just silly things we would say as children, daft words we make up as such and it seems to be bugging me a lot even though these things are are not worth worrying about I worry anyway, how can I overcome this? It's as though I have a major worry on my mind but it's really silly, I can't spend my whole life explaining everything I ever said as a child to my partner it's driving me insane. Once I get rid of one worry another one surfaces, it's exhausting being like this, I'm awaiting CBT therapy also which is in 2 weeks. It's like I'm worrying over the stupidest thing then it plagues me for days! I feel like I'm telling my life story in full detail! any tips out there plz

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Donna,

I'm exactly the same, I feel like I have the world on my shoulders at times. I have attended CBT on and off for the past 10 years and found it very helpful, obviously my OCD is still there but I'm now managing it better. I Would highly recommend CBT!

The only reason I have had to go back the CBT is if I have any setbacks. My son was diagnosed with a very serious condition and I convinced myself it was because I had stopped all my rituals therefor started it all again to try and protect my son.

Tracey ☺

• Posted

I uses to be like that and I got over that part of my ocd, now its just remembering stuff that's not even important but ocd makes it seem important doesn't it. I'm going to try and keep a diary and see if that helps,writing it down and then burn it. I think stress and like you say your sons illness brings ocd back on as well. Xxx
  • Posted

I also have this hun😩😩😩. You are not alone. I constantly have to ask my sister stuff and check if she remembered to convince myself I didn't make it up.

Wonder why this started for us? Xxx

• Posted

Hya kimD mine started after having my daughter 16 years ago then went away and then resurfaced again when i had my son who is now 10. I was on sertraline for 7 years which helped but

After a while felt like it had stopped

Working, I'm now on citalopram been

On those for 4 weeks and their doing

Nothing for my ocd just feel less

Stressed. Just started cbt also, I feel

Like I will probably end up back

On sertraline again!! Iv reading up

About ocd and its weird how most

People have all similar thoughts too!

• Posted

I actually question nearly every thought I have at the mo and it's driving me crazy. Like when I have a thought it is always followed by a bad thought. Have you ever experienced this. Eg: i was thinking how cute my daughter was and how perfect her teeth were and a bad automatic thought came in of - I'm gonna punch your teeth. I'm so distressed 😩😩😩😩😩😩😩
    • Posted

Yeah iv had every thought possible!

Think of the worst thought and then

Multiply it by 100 and yr still not there! Next time u have a thought try laughing at it, make humour of it rather than

Let it distress you, that's what iv been

Doing, although some still bother me!

The strange thing is most people

Without ocd have these thoughts and

Don't realise it but with ocd its seems

More prominant in us. I know a lot

Of the thoughts are still distressing,

Try saying its not me its my ocd! Repeat over and over everytime u have a

Thought, it takes a while to get used

To it but the more we do it the more

We can show this condition

Who is boss!!! And I'm determined! X

• Posted

Ps. Don't let this condition bring you

Down, thoughts mean nothing even though you may think they do, don't try

To fight them neither just let them be x

• Posted

have intrusive thoughts aswel so I can totally get where you are coming from Donna. They are just so bloody awful. Although I will give you hope and say that I was good for 5 years after CBT for them. They sometimes occurred but once you simply only notice them but give them no attention or worry the gradually tire off. You will get there and I too need to get back to CBT. Are you in England. I'm in Scotland and there is a wee wait. Xx
    • Posted

Yeah I'm in England Tyne and wear, u can self refer here, can you do that?

I had my first session today, thing in worried about tho is how personal do

You need to get with your therapist

As sometimes you feel these thoughts

Are so bad if u say them they might

Cart you off somewhere to a pysch

Ward! I'm terrified of sharing some thoughts! X

• Posted

If u go on amazon there's a lot of

Books on there, I just bought how to

Overcome your obsessions and

Compulsions for £2.80 x

• Posted

Yeah I have self referred and will hopefully get next week . Fab I'll go look on Amazon - thanks Hun.

Please don't me scared about the thoughts. I was told it actually the content of the thoughts don't matter when I last had CBT but I told mines anyway and there were always the same - violence, sexual abuse ect.... I think it's that common now the docs aren't shocked. As for the Mental Hosp I think you are all good for not going there Hun. It is my worry too xxxxxxx

• Posted

Wow we must all have similar

Thoughts, reassuring really, they can

Be very distressing! Iv told my therapist Il write stuff down as well as that might help to explain a bit better. Hard

Enough telling her let alone

Writing it down suppose it helps if

Everything Is out in the open if we

Want to recover from this bloody

Awful thing!

• Posted

Hi there everyone. I really feel for you all on here. I don't have Ocd. I have depression, which in its self at times leads me to obsessively think about things I've said and done in the dim and distant past. At times ive had some quite disturbing thoughts that made me feel quite bad about myself .I can't imagine how it feels for it to be there all the time.

I can't offer any helpful advice as in all honestly when it comes to Ocd I don't experience it myself and it would just be guess work. I just wanted to offer my support.

What a mystery it is the way our brains work or in my case often feels like it dosnt! ;/ warm wishes to you all. X

• Posted

Thanks justmemyself for your kind comments, most of the time I'm not too

Bad its ever since I changed antidepressants, as on previous ones

Sertraline the higher doses give me

Heartburn, been on citalopram 4

Weeks and still waiting for a miracle!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.