Does anyone have withdrawal info on Nortriptyline???

Posted , 29 users are following.

I was on Nortriptyline for a year for migraine prevention.  I found it was making me extremely tired and my heart race.  I unfortunatelly stopped it two weeks ago abruptly.  Does anyone know how long wtihdrawal symptoms last for.  Still feel jumpy, brain zaps, insomnia and headache. Any help would be so appreciated.

2 likes, 68 replies

68 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi,

I weaned off Norotryptylene 2 weeks ago after taking a daily dose of 125mg. I started on Gabapentin and have since been getting pain spasms in my head, jumpiness, pain down my neck and tiredness. I assumed it was the side effects of the new medication but am now thinking it could be withdrawals from the Norotryptylene after reading what you said. I hope it stops to soon as it's very painful. I hope you're feeling better soon!

• Posted

hello. ;im currently going through a nightmarish withdrawal with the nori. My body gets so feverishly hot that I would break out in sweats to apoint of near passing out. My heart also races on and off and when it does race, I end up with laboured breathing. And the pressure in my head is rediculous! It's been one week since I stopped taking the nori and the withdrawal symptoms are out of control! Worst of all, I don't see any end in sight! Are you still experiencing withdrawal symptoms?
    • Posted

Jackie I know it’s been three years but how long till the awful side effects of nortiptylene stopped. I’m loosing my mind!
  • Posted

I just started weaning from nortryptoline 4 weeks ago after a year. The next day my foot pain went away. I am convinced that this drug kept me in pain for a year. I'm a very healthy/active person who got injured on a tennis court. I took this for pain but noticed a pattern..wake up feeling myself then 3 hours later, foot and leg weird nervy pain. Last night was my last time taking this drug and I already can "feel" like I used to. It completely numbed me and didnt allow me to use my instincts. My friends who have migraines swear that their chiropractor helps them .
  • Posted

Been on nortriptaline for over 2 years for head/scalp nerve pain. Coming down slowly from 80mg now on 35mg. Feeling "rough" today, otherwise no symptoms coming down in dosage. I hope that my condition which is less frequent in the last year will not increase once I come off the nortiptaline. Tried all sorts of medication, gabapentin, pregabalin, topiramate to no avail.

I would like to manage without the nortriptaline so that my stomach pain and  drowsiness would disappear and I would feel normal again. 

• Posted

I've been on 20 mg of Noritriptylene for about 8 years now rolleyes .  I've always had a fast resting heart rate while on it (that's why doc decreased from 40 to 20 mg). But I'm starting to have some tingliness in my toes and balance issues, so I'm wondering if it's the Nori. But I also have a disc issues in my cervical spine so was also thinking it could be that, which I pray is not!  Anyway, wondering if anyone on this board has successfully weaned themselves off the Nori... Kind of worried that headaches will be more severe by tapering and getting off of it, because I think the Nori helped minimize of migraine pain, but worried about other problems the Nori might cause.  Any feedback here is appreciated!

• Posted

Hi

I just came across this forum and noticed like yourself I have been on 25mg daily nortriptyline for over 8 years now. I had an acoustic neuroma removed from my inner ear in 2008 and my doctor (neurologist) prescribed this med for my severe migraines. As of 4 months ago I started getting breakthrough migraines and 2 weeks ago had a head concussion which put my body in constant migraine mode. I started looking at this drug and see I experience almost every side effect 😠 I am going to my doctor this coming Wednesday to look into weaning off this drug. I am currently experiencing major numbness and tingling in my hands and feet ,nauseous, stomach pain vomiting severe dizziness etc. And I think 8 years of buildup has taken it's toll...i was wondering since it's been 7 months since you posted this if you had successfully gotten off your 20mgs yet and if so how and are you finding relief? Thanks Tish ?

• Posted

I have been on 20 mg for several years. I accidentally took the dose twice, in jesting 40 total. Nightmare I can not escape. My body shakes, twitches, heart racing, skin and blood feels like it’s on for, I can hear my pulses pounding in my head. Any suggestions for relief? This happened on a Sunday night it is Tuesday afternoon no relief.
    • Posted

Did you continue with your normal dose Monday night or skip it?  Nortriptyline has a pretty long half life.  I know that when I make a change, it takes a few days for me to feel it.  You could be a fast metabolizer though.
    • Posted

One been on 20 mg for about six years and I'm having all the same symptoms with the numbness and balance. I did a stupid thing two days ago and took my medication twice by accident. I'm having horrible burning sensation,racing heart,muscle twinges.i just want to escape my body. My doctor wants me to restart the Med tonight to see if it helps. I'm scared to death but she said you can't abruptly quit the drug. If it helps get rid of these symptoms I'm going to wean off.

• Posted

i skipped Monday, do you think I should skip tomorrow before restarting?
    • Posted

not sure how this forum works sorry for repeat reply. I found this while desperately searching for relief. Heather, I took 20 mg from my evening meds box. I usually take my morning meds at 4:00 AM but instead reached fo the evening meds and took them again.  I didn't realize for hours because I am down with the flu during this nightmare. I skipped Monday night and thought I should at least skip tonight. Restart maybe Wednesday? Do you think it's long enough? Maybe test the waters with 10 mg?

• Posted

I would listen to your doctor and take 20mg again per day without skipping any more doses.  I think if you reduce your dose or skip again you’re putting more stress on your body.  Especially if you’re not feeling well from one up dose.  
    • Posted

I skipped last night because I felt like my symptoms were still so severe. I couldn't imagine them getting worse. I think I will try reintroducing it tonight let things stabilize , then slowly try to decrease. I want to be rid of it forever.

• Posted

What symptoms are you experiencing now?  I also plan on getting off of the medication at some point.  I was only on it for 6 weeks before I started reducing.  Even going from 25 to 20mg has been challenging.  I've been at this dose for almost two weeks and really expected to feel better by now.  I still have some skin burning/itching although it's improving a little.  I've been anxious too with my stomach tightening and moodiness.  Just in the past couple of days, my tinnitus has returned (it's occasional) and I'm having some heart palpatations.  I'm really hoping that it settles down soon.  I haven't had much response from people when I've posted... I don't know that there are many on nortriptyline.

• Posted

Hi terry-

I wanted to check in to see how you are feeling today.

Heather

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.