Does anyone know how long I need to wait before starting 5htp after coming off mirtazapine.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I stopped taking mirtazapine 5 weeks ago. I now have chronic insomnia, my anxiety is ok and I have researched 5 http but can't find anything to say how long I should wait before starting it. Any ideas would b appreciated.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Did you do a slow taper?    Just wondering how bad the previous 5 weeks have been?  Insomnia is the pits after Mirt.  Have you tried anything else?  I used Phenergen for a few weeks after stopping Mirt', if you are UK it is available over the counter at say Boots.  I took 25 mg, it packed a punch, and would probably - in hindsight - have taken half that dose, so maybe I should have bought a pill cutter to cut them in half.  25 mg per day is supposed to be the max dose, although some on the forum speak of taking 50mg but I'd be wary of that.  Maybe ask your doc'.

• Posted

Hi

Yes I did a slow taper. Started tapering June last year down to 7.5mg then stopped mid Jan. Awful wd symptoms for a month then this week anxiety ok but just no sleep!!!! I bought a book called natural highs by Patrick Holfprd which is very interesting and he rates 5htp so I thought I'd give it a try. I tried phenegran which worked for 1 night!!!! I just need sleep!!!!

• Posted

Wow 7.5 mgs is a very high dose to jump off from, that caused the insomnia. obvious .., sorry 😐. I'll ask around re the 5htp, dies apsrrivk Holford speak of Melatonin in your book?

Are you sure you don't want to reinstate Mirt to say 7 mg & do a slower taper / just to cover everything.

How did you sleep last night? No, the Z sleeping pills don't give restful sleep do they, I couldn't get on with them at all either.

• Posted

Hi.

Didn't sleep at all. I don't want to go back on mirtazapine!!

Holford mentions melatonin as in good sleep aid but banned in U.K. He talks more about 5htp. I think I'll try some tonight. I had 25mg phenegran last night but it didn't help.

• Posted

I have put some feelers out re the 5htp, i'll get back to you if I find anything.  

Sorry for you agony, usually the only thing that helps in major WD after jumping from a bigh dose is the drug itself, usually.  ggrrrrr   !

• Posted

HI MARIANNE......i do not know much about 5ttp so cannot comment on it,,,but when i came off the mirt i had sleep problems,,,,dr prescribed trazodone 50mg and it helped with the sleep i only take it now and then when feeling restless,,just thought this might help,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,good luck,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BLUESY
    • Posted

Thank you. Doc has given me zopiclone which I've taken half the dose for 2 nights, it works but next day feel like a zombie!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.