Does anyone know if Levothyroxine will cause blood thinning?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed with hypothryodism about 6 weeks ago.  I cut  my hand about 2 weeks ago and "bubbled" blood onto the floor for about 35 feet through my house trying to get to my husband and wake him up to help me. He cleaned up while I concentrated on getting the bleeding stopped.  While cleaning up the blood from the floor, he commented that the blood looked very thin, like it was half water.  Has anyone had an experience like this and am I going to have thin blood from now on or react like I am on a blood thinner?  This could be important information in case of an emergency.  Also, this is my first experience with this forum business so please let me know if I am doing things correctly.  I am in serious need of help here, not only about the hypo but about how forums work.  :~(

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I'd be cautious about attributing your bleeding to the thyroxine.  Have you told your doctor about this? It may be that you have unwittingly discovered something else, or maybe you caught a blood vessel? Don't panic!  See your GP, or even speak to a pharmacist.
  • Posted

hey cookie

first of all.........welcome!

actually i'm new to the hypo site too...i participate on other threads but have started coming here ...like you to find out more about thyroid meds and if possible natural healing.

hello to gcowboy who offers calming advice i think.

sorry you cut yourself.....lovely hubby you have....well clean cut wounds do bleed for a while....you prob don't need to worry about haemophilia(!)...sounds like you're well hydrated and healthy but mention this at your next check up....when is it due?

ver best wishes

marey

• Posted

Hello Cookie 1943,I don't know if Levothyroxine can cause your blood to thin,it does however have lots of side effects listed on the leaflet.Also lots of thyroid patiets myself included do not get to feel any better on Levothyroxine even when our GP's tell us our blood tests are normal.This is a complicated disease to treat & lots of us self medicate.Join a thyroid group who will know all about the condition ,there is a good one on Facebook Thyroid UK- patient to patient help & support.I like I said earlier have no idea if Levothyroxine would have caused you to bleed excessively  & would suggest that you see your GP about that in case it's not connected.If you do not feel any better on the Levo there are other things you can take but you need to learn a lot about the condition because GP's only have general knowledge of lots of things but not many of them know much about treating thyroid disease your best bet is to get yourself informed.Buy Stop The Thyroid Madness from Amazon & read up, there are lots of things in the book about how thyroid can cause all sorts of other things.Hope this helps
  • Posted

great advice from brewster...i'm following it too...please keep in touch.

are you ok now? wound healing up?

• Posted

Hi Marey, I have just written a long answer to you but I lost it before it was finished so here is a shortened note.Don't be put off with your GP telling you your bloods are normal if you don't feel well you can help yourself as I have.I spent the last 10 years on umpteen pain killers,depressants & finally morphine when all the time it was my thyroid & the GP did not put it all together.Also had high cholesterol & blood pressure 2 more classic symptoms that were not picked up.get the book & apply to join the Facebook group ,you will find more help there than at most GP's.I know that sounds bad but if you join you will see there are thousands of us who are not being treated properly,many of us can not convert T4 only medication(levothyroxine) To work properly your body needs T4 & T3.Please dont suffer in silence like I did,learn all you can so that you can help yourself & dont let your GP convince you that your medicine is fine.If you dont feel well on the levothyroxine there are other things,
    • Posted

Thank you so much Brewster. You are a real tonic!!

my T3 and T4 were both within normal limits....got GP to do those...am i clever or am i clever?

TSH 5.1 and I'd love to get  it down to below 2....levothyroxin did bring it down but i'd like to try the desiccated which you recommended and have found a source. I know you said you were buying in the US. If you look on 'Thyroid Uk' there 's a list of pharmacys that will sell with a prescription....i was so excited to find it.

Thinking of you Brewster...you are so helpful and kind. Thank you again for your repeated help!

• Posted

Have you found a supply without a prescription.you can get it without a bit expensive but so worth it to feel more yourself.Left to the Dr I was getting worse so no matter what they say to me about it I know I feel better & that cant be bad.If you cant get it on-line when you are in the group we can private message you where you can buy it off prescription as not allowed to put open information. 
  • Posted

Okay, here we go, hoping this will get to where I want it to be.  Thank you all for your advice.  I had to go to the ER for stitches so my doctor will get that report and repond to it.  This happed less than a week before we left on vacation so I have not had a chance to follow up on it.  The stiches were removed at an Urgent Care facility and the cut looks good and also healed nicely.  I can do dishes by hand again.  lol  Will check with my doc when I get home about the possibility of the blood being thin but I have not had that problem in the past so we'll have to add that it my list of possibilities.  
    • Posted

happy for you cookie...things coming together ...glad you did all the right things and got stitched up. hey you must be so delighted to be washing up again!!!!! groan!

love marey x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.