Does anyone know if there is a specific Hallux Rigidus section on here

Posted , 3 users are following.

I think I know the answer to this but has anyone come across a section on patient.info (or elsewhere) for sufferers of Hallux Rigidus?  I've obviously searched but before I give up I thought I'd ask the question?  Thanks Al

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I think that is what I had. Arthritis caused a lot of pain so the joint in big toe was fused together. No movement in joint now but no pain either. 
    • Posted

Hi christine - would you be kind enough to tell me what the recovery was like - how long before you could do a decent walk again - do you reckon I could hike for 10 miles or so in time?
    • Posted

It is now 17 weeks since I had hallux fusion of the big toe. After six weeks in plaster I could only wear trainers one size bigger than my usual size, at about 12 weeks I got on usual shoes wide fitting. Now at 17 weeks I am almost pain free, just a twinge now and again in the scar area but hopefully this will stop in time. As far as a ten mile hike it's not my thing but I'm sure if that's what you are into you should manage if your recovery is successful. I agree with you about a section for hallux rigidus, all searches go to bunion procedures. 
  • Posted

The reason you have hr is a failure of rear foot to forefoot mechanism and possibly a stiff ankle called ankle equinus so the weight is transfered onto the forfoot but you end up with a locked toe rather than a functionally limited forefoot

this usually occurs on the functionally shorter leg

this is my particular area of expertise and if you can get a chiropractor or osteopath to free ankle and check your pelvis level

you may find a small heel raise helps as it assists with loading differently

hope it helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.