Does anyone know if this combination will work for mild sedation during surgery???

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am having minor surgery in about eight days. I have been taking about 8mg of Suboxone for opiate addiction for the past four months. The sedation for my surgery typically requires iv fentanyl and iv versed, however since I am taking Suboxone, this combination will not be effective. I was almost certain I would have to stop the Suboxone AT LEAST five days ahead of time to feel the fentanyl relieving any pain. I was very surprised when I was told otherwise and to NOT stop the Suboxone. I'm glad to know I won't be in withdrawal the day of the procedure. But now I'm VERY worried about how effective the method they recommend will be /: I was advised to take more than my usual dose of Suboxone the day of the procedure and will only be administered the iv versed. I was told the higher does of sub WITH the versed will make me comfortable enough to tolerate any pain. I am very scared this is not going to help my pain AT ALL and I will feel everything!!! I know the versed will help anxiety, but will upping the dose of my sub really work for pain??? If so, how much more should I take?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi there 

as you probally know suboxone blocks opiate receptors helping opiate addicts to have a relatively normal life ... however im suprised as you to be told you can continue this and also receive fentanyl iv .... 

however anesthetists are pretty clued up and know exactly the amount to give ( for example ) opiate addicts still taking meds or heroin ... opiate addicts who are clean from all meds and also opiate addicts taking suboxone ...

but on the day of the surgery i would mention ( to all doctors ) the amount of suboxone your taking just to be 100% sure they know ...

you probally wont get a answer on how ( if any ) many more suboxone you should take .. but lets not forget suboxone is buprenorphine which is a powerful opioid and is given to cancer patients also ,and 8mg is a decent dose 

contact your doctor/pm and insist on defenite answers .. at the end of the day if your not happy you can stop the surgery until you are 

best wishes 

• Posted

edit .. you wont get a answer on here . ( not from the doctors who will be able to help you 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.