Does anyone know of a way to regenerate the hip joint once it is bone on bone.

Posted , 27 users are following.

Stem cell, natural ingredients such as bone broth/glucosamine/ chondrotine/etc?

If not, what are the best natural pain solutions?

2 likes, 59 replies

59 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

agree with Susan

I have degenration in the hip - some bone to bone

Since seeing a McTimmony Chiropracter 6 weeks ago I have alot less pain-

can get out of seated position with no pain at all and my flexibility is much improved.

I've also been strenthening the muscles around the joint - bridges, chair squats, swimming, leg lifts and some core training and to strengthen buttocks and thighs. Stopped taking any pain medication- only take supplements - fish oil, tumeric, magnesium, multi vit and mineral. Also am not eating gluten (bread) or anything "white" as that can promote inflammation. See a good chinese or chiro. or oesteopath who will work with you over several weeks and see if this helps.

• Posted

Thanks for the info Clea (and others).  I am already taking some of the stuff you mentioned... Just started gluten free.   I have been taking other joint natural meds for a while but my hip still degenerated.  Now looking for a bit of a miracle or else it's total replacement.  Increasing my gelatin to 3 times a day, going to start taking bone broth, and adding Genocol  collagen to the regimin, and going gluten free. Hoping these additions along with what I am already going (glucosamine, Chondroitine, and increased vit D to 4000/ day) make some sort of difference.  May see a chiropractor as well.  Any other magical solutions out there to stimulate cartilage growth?
    • Posted

According to research the hip joint *can* regenerate on it's own if you remove the source of the wear. If there were a pill you could pop rest assured it would be made available by your doc!

Your best bet (according to research) is exercise and physical therapy. Research hasn't shown stellar results with this, but I can tell you from experience that if you really work hard at it 'miracles' are possible. It can only do good, and if ultimately you do need surgery the results will be much better if you get your soft tissue into good shape first.

• Posted

From an article written by Doctor Tom Margham on Arthritis Research UK:

"There's a continuous process of ‘wear and repair’ happening in our joints. But some circumstances tip the balance more towards wear in the joint rather than repair. For example, injury or muscle weakness around the joint, which in turn leads to pain and the changes seen in the joint in osteoarthritis.Addressing problems like muscle weakness or abnormal load passing through the joint can help to bring the balance back towards the repair process. In summary – for most people osteoarthritis isn’t an inevitably progressive thing and can be modified by looking for and addressing the problems that tip the balance from wear to repair in the joints."

• Posted

I tried glucosamine for quite a while on my finger and not sure it made any difference. 

I am now pain free, but I had a joint replacement. Is surgery not an option for you?

• Posted

Surgery is an option ... I still need to see an orthopedic surgeon.   But I really would prefer to look at all other options if they exists ... THR isn't something I really want to do at 51.
    • Posted

Why mess around when surgery will sort you out. Rehab is very quick. I know people who have had the is their 40's. 

If there is anyway way to regenerate the joint it would be available instead of surgery.

how much is all this pain costing you. How much is it stopping you doing things you need to do? Get it sorted now and you will be like new. 

• Posted

Glucosamine was recommended by my GP on my very first visit regarding hip pain.  There was no discernible effect on my hip pain although my fingernails became stronger.  When my hip deteriorated and I was referred for surgery, I ask the orthopaedic surgeon about glucosamine and he said there was no proof it was beneficial for osteoarthritis.  

I have no idea anout other treatments and am now waiting for a replacement hip.

• Posted

Hallo Susan and Dean

could you send me the website link too- I'd be very keen to see and learn more. There is so  much info. out there that it's much appreciated that you have put this together. Unfrtunately my OA on left is due also to dysplasia - appartantly it's in the right one too but that gives me no problems at the moment. Friends keep pushing me to have the op. but am hesitating cos f age and fearful I will not be  able to move in the way I do - even now with the pain I am still very flexible (hypermobile) cheers and thanks - Clea

• Posted

Everyone I know who has had a hip replaced has normal movement and of course no pain. The physio is very important to get mobility back after the op. As soon as the pain hits I am off to see my surgeon, why suffer and take those pain killers?
  • Posted

Hi Dean,

This is the "holy grail" for arthritic patients, and unfortunately it's not being done - either by regeneration or implant. Out of all joint arthroplasty surgeries, though, hip replacement has very good outcomes. 

As a sufferer of a failed shoulder surgery SLAP tear repair through arthroscope in 2014, I have been researching stem cells and their application for use in cartilage regeneration for more than 2 years. There is a surgeon in Japan who appears to have success with autologous cartilage implants on young patients who still have cartilage.

To my knowledge, there is not a way for cartilage to regenerate on its own to the extent it can repair the diseased or damaged joint. If anyone has found something else, please share.

• Posted

Hi Holly, there is always a solution to all!

I have had a diagnosis both the hips, that I have no more cartilage. this has to do with years of martial arts and fitness.

I have no pain I walk without problems and the density of my bones are normal.

my doctor recommended me to undergo both hips replacement

clearly I did not agree with him, also because I do not give up easily as a person.

in a month I did research on the internet on how to regenerate the cartilage. and I found the solution 

Collagen Hydrolysate type 2

CH ALPHA Plus

after 3 months of rigorous supplements and again having done X Ray  the cartilage of my hips are regenerating.

knowledge is power! Never give up!

• Posted

Once the cartilage is gone, it's gone and when those bones rub against one another you will be in pain, it's that simple. 

I suffer badly with OA in my fingers. The 1st time X-ray clearly showed the problem and I was in a lot of pain, a joint replacement was done, pain free. Second time, no pain but the joint refused to move. X-ray showed joint completely gone!! Second joint replacement, some movement and pain free. Thursday finger lots of pain, X-ray showed nothing, MRI showed half the joint has gone so another joint replacement will be done.

everyone is different but if you are down to bone on bone, surgery is usually the best route and you will be pain free, no faddy diets etc 

• Posted

There are  claims that Lipogems work. They are regenative medicines. As far as I know they available only in Harley Street London. Hopefully NHS do some clinical trials with this so called game changer for OA. If you do some research then you will find some wonderful claims about the Lipogems procedure especially in the US. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.