Does anyone know what this skin rash is?

Posted , 2 users are following.

imageMy dad has had this rash on his arm for like a year now and his doctor and dermatologist think it's just dry skin or from the sun. They told him the sun theory in the middle of winter and he doesn't wear short sleeves then so that's not it and we have a hard time believing it's from dry skin. The top of his forearm itches like insanely bad but the bottom part of his arm doesn't itch at all. They tell him to use lotion and gave him something for itching but it's only gotten worse. He's 78 yrs old so he bruises and tears his skin easily so the white parts are scars and he believes the top of his forearm is bruised from scratching it so much. He's miserable and can't find any relief and I! was hoping someone could help him. Thank you.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Does the rash form blisters sometimes? Does your Dad use any sort of blood thinning medication like Aspirin or warfarin?

• Posted

I asked him about the blisters and he said that sometimes he'll get little bumps but they don't ooze or anything and yes he does take a blood thinner called Eliquis (not sure if that's spelled correctly. I know he used to take aspirin but I'm not sure if he still does or not.

• Edited

Then it may be the Eliquis thats causing his problems. Talk to his doctor about it. He may be able to get an alternative.

Elderly folk's skin does get dry and sometimes itchy so dont stop using an emollient cream, every night before bed. what was the lotion he was given? and what was he given for the itching?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.