Does anyone know whether eating gluten (when usually gluten free) can make bone and muscle pain escalate?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been gluten free for a couple of months now and think I either have coeliac disease or wheat intolerance.

I certainly feel better without gluten and find I feel really ill if I eat it by accident.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Well, the short answer is YES.

You need to get tested, so ask for a blood test but KEEP EATING gluten in the meantime otherwise you could get a false negative.  You will then be referred for a gastroscopy and must keep on eating gluten until after that.  Then you can cut out wheat/barley/rye and oats although some people can tolerate oats.

Once you get used to it a gluten free diet isn't all that bad and that fact that you feel so much better makes it worth while.   After five years gluten free I am never tempted to eat the stuff and am only ever glutened by accident or mistake.

Simples!lol

• Posted

Hello

Thanx 4 getting back to me

I tested negative for coeliac although I may well have it !

I stay off gluten most of the time and cant face eating it again to the extent you

suggest as I'm convinced it makes me ill.

But thanks anyway and another thought is I could have a wheat intolerance

• Posted

If ou can't face 6 weeks on gluten in odrer to take a test - well who can blame you?  I certainly will never ever go back to eating the stuff.  My GP did suggest going on what he called a 'gluten challenge' so that they could do another gastonomy and was quite cross with me when I refused. 

As far as I'm concerned, I feel better without gluten so I don't see why I should pu myself through 6 week of He** just so the medics can prove I either am, or am not coeliac.

I suppose you could prove whether or not you have an intolerance to wheat only, would be to try introducing rye and barley into your diet, and note the consequences.  I have seen rye bread on the shelves (doesn't look so good!) and I think beer is made from barley(?)  So a bottle of beer (or a shandy) on a couple of evenings would prove/disprove that one.  And lunch of rye bread and soup might sort out the rye .........

I have a recipe book 'Easy to make Wheat Free' from Good Houskeeping, published by Colins and Brown which I got from Amazon which is good.  I bought it when I too thought (hoped) I was just wheat intolerant ..... but sadly I was totally gluten intolenant in the end.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.