Does anyone know which blood tests should be done annually to check I'm in remission?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been a Crohn's survivor for 32+ years, was operated on 32 years ago and had slightly more than 3ft of bowel removed.  Since then I've had B12 injections three monthly but very little other medication.  There weren't a lot of options available to me then because I have a drug allergy.  I appreciated how lucky I've been over the years, keeping as healthy as I can and being soooo careful with my diet.  For the past 16 years I haven't been seeing a consultant, but relying on annual blood tests at my GP's surgery.  Last week I was totally thrown when seeing a different nurse who only intended to do a blood count, told me checking my B12 levels wasn't necessary and didn't actually get enough blood out of me anyway, she had three attempts.

I'm seeing my GP this week but has anyone any idea what blood tests should be done, are there any newer ones used for screening that I would be wise to ask about?

I'm aware that I'm getting older and I'm not a fit as I was and now I'm feeling anxious since my visit to the docors surgery.

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thank you all for being so helpful. 

I saw my GP this afternoon and he went through all my blood tests, everything's fine, liver function, kidneys, iron & B12.  I'm falling in the middle of normal, but I can't understand why I'm excessively tired, more than normal, and seem to be perpetually ill.  I've caught yet another upper resperatory infection so he's given me anti-biotics and a multi-vit for three months to see if it helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.