Does anyone knows about Roemheld Syndrome

Posted , 5 users are following.

Facing the problem from 4 years. Palpitations, Chest pain only after meals everytime.

Got Ecg, Echo, Lipid profile, Blood Sugar, Thyroid, CBC all done previous year but still the same issue. Doctor dismiss as anxiety but I know it's not due to anxiety. I have never bothered about the problem but would like to treat it as now tired of it. Most doctors, even Cardiologists don't know or speak of this issue. Have read on Google that it's a rare syndrome and not much studied.

So if anyone knows about it and any cure for it

Please advise.

🙂 sorry for posting in Abdominal group but it's mostly related to stomach as i have read on Google so..

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I'm not sure about this illness but I've been going through it for years. I'm so tired of living with it. Doctors have blamed it on everything including anxiety and GERD. They can't seem to figure it out. I hope you find the answers you are looking for. Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

I googled this syndrome and these are the treatments it mentioned.

Anticholinergics, magnesium, or sodium (to raise blood pressure) supplements

Anticonvulsants have eliminated all symptoms in some RS sufferers; Lorazepam, Oxcarbazepine increase GI motility, reduce vagus "noise" (sodium channel blocking believed to contribute to positive effects)

Alpha blockers may increase gi motility if that is an issue, also 5 mg to 10 mg amitriptyline if motility is an issue that can't be solved by other methods

Antigas - simethicone, beano, omnimax reduces epigastric pressure

Antacids - calcium carbonate, famotidine, omeprazole, etc. reduces acid reflux in the case of hiatal hernia or other esophageal type RS.

Vagotomy

Beta blockers - reduces contractility and automaticity of the heart which reduces irregular rhythms but also lowers blood pressure when symptoms occur, and further reduces perfusion ex: Carvedilol, this will control abnormal heart rhythms, but can precipitate Prinzmetal angina and heart block.

Doctors like to fob you off with an anxiety diagnosis so they can prescribe anti depressants which earn them money.

• Posted

I had palpitation problem with no BP about 25 years back. A Doc once prescribed Tinarmin (possibly 5 mg or the lowest dose) two times a day. I asked him why he prescribed a BP Drug when I had no BP. He said that I have high palpitation since quite some time which may create further problems at some stage. Hence I started taking it for next many many years; half or even 1/4 of lowest dose after starting it for three months or so. I had discontinued it after many years when my pulse rate remained 50 Per Min which the Doc felt that it is too low for my age. Thus Tinarmin wasreplaced with equal lowest dose of Easyday still with no BP but possibly to prevent heart complication. I am presently of advanced age with no heart problem so far and no sugar. My BP uptill now remained normal in summers and slightly raised in winters for which I am taking a bit of BP medication; Easyday of suitable mg these days.

So I wonder if my medication would suit you or not. Only Doc can suitably advise.

Wishing you all the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.