Does anyone's anxiety go through the roof when have cold or flu??

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I'm sort of still in recovery of being in a really bad place but have had very good days and the odd bad day here and there but last few days my anxiety has been through the roof .

I've had a bad cold which makes it hard to breath so I start panicking that I'm gonna stop breathing and die yep I know its stupid but that's how my mind works now because of worrying why I'm ill and what if it's life threatening it's causing me to have the horrible physical anxiety symptoms all day like right throat , tight chest , weird head feeling feeling and disgusting nervous feeling in my stomach like dread fearing something bass going to happen.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

YES! Im just finishing it. Day 13. Now something has gone awry with my ear. Everything feels off and the illness takes the whole body. I hate to say this but there is a lot of suffering and we suck at that overall.

i actually first went to the dr. At day 4 but have been there three times  since. first sinus then  for chest and now ear. I do not normally go to the dr so much. Usually once.something viscous just has to be going around. My cousin with zero anxiety is miserable shes in day 9 now. So some of it is the actual illness too.

i hooe you feel better its okay to go see your gp if needed. We arent exempt from infections because we have anxiety.thats the truth.

• Posted

Thanks for replying Lisa 🙂 I went to the gp and they said sinus infection but now I've got a cough and feels hard to breath but I don't no whether it's just mean panicking my self or what , anxiety seems to love to try and make things worse why can't I just accept I've got a cold and man up 😕

• Posted

Forget the man up junk! Youre human. You sound like I was. Terrible heavy chest and croupy cough for a solid week. Fillowing a week of a horrid cold.I don't even get that stuff usually. I tried everything i could. I was on antibiotic for the sinus and used steam and alternative stuff.. nothing. Nothing and then time started to heal it. Now the ear weird thing which is cruel but the stupid cough i think was shooting the mucous every where inside me. Im going to the ent today.So screw the man up stuff its more then a simple cold  and if you want to go back and check you chest then do it. Piece of mind is priceless. No one  can judge you , i hate that especially when you dont feel well.  I was busy being concerned about being judged too and then i realized i have to love me and take care of me. When you are sick its not  a time to people please or listen to anyone who isnt a doctor tell you you're fine.  Have you tried anything to loosen the phlegm? In the usa  we have mucinex otherwise it gaufissin something like that. I didnt use it i went alternative but it really did nothing so thats why i say real stuff might be better. And steam. Lots of steam. Steam is your best friend. And yes anxiety likes to flip you out as if it isnt uncomfortable enough being sick. respiratory stuff trigger anxiety anyway. But you some on here for comfort and see you gp if you feel you want your chest listened too or xrayed and that is okay. Have no guilt. feel better soon. 

• Posted

in case that doesnt come out of moderation. If you feel your chest hurts its okay to see your GP to check it. . Forget the man up stuff there is a viscous  sinus and chest thing going around it a two to three week run of feeling awful. Feel better soon.
  • Posted

If we have Depression and Anxiety and we get a cold or flu we will feel miserable like anyone else, I suppose if your body is sensitised to Anxiety matters you will feel worse because of it.

Ask or get someone to get you some deconjestant and other types of medicine to suppress and control your condition. As many understand all is a waiting game 

All is unpleasent although we all suffer at times, we need to accept we are stuck with it until it goes.

Good Luck, Keep a hold.

BOB

• Posted

i have the same thing every time i get sick or injury my already anxiety flares up dealing with this now because i have something going on with a virus

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.