Does anyone suffer from bile acid malabsorption caused by small intestinal bacterial overgrowth?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I collapsed in 2009 and have been really ill since then. I felt like I was walking on marshmallows, was really dizzy and faint. Eventually the dr realised I was deficient in Vit B12, folate and ferratin iron supply and I started supplements. Every time I eat I'm running to the loo for hours, terrible stomach pain and feel completely exhausted. After suffering from chronic fatigue for years now, I at last saw a dr who has diagnosed the above condition and started me on Questran sachets twice a day with antibiotics. I've looked it up online and I'm worried what the long term implications are for this. Now one dr says he is not sure that it is this disease, while the other one is definite. I am now only able to eat oatcakes, oatibix, chicken, potatoes and veg. I've had to cut out all chocolate, cakes etc and I cannot tolerate meats, fruit, most veg and a multitude of other foods. Has anyone else had this disorder, I'd be grateful for any help. Many thanks!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

How do you fell after taking the medication?? is it better or worse?? what is the diagnosis of your disease??
  • Posted

The questran powder has definately helped the chest pain I have, but my diet is so limited I feel exhausted constantly. The antibiotics to help the small bowel bacteria just make me feel sick but don't feel any different otherwise. They are dotting about between a diagnosis of this small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, bile acid malabsorption which causes excess hydrogen gas, giving me chest pain and unable to eat almost everything.

• Posted

Hi Meg. What happened to you in the end? I have sibo and after taking rifaximin I ended up with bile acid malabsorbtion. Any news on your side?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.