Does anyone take Mirtazapine (Remeron) for anxiety?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been on many antianxiety meds and have always ended up with more anxiety.  I take Wellbutrin since 2002 (which is more of an antidepressant) but it was the only med that agreed with me.  It also helped me quit smoking.  Anyway, my body is so immuned to the Wellbutrin (buproprion) that lately my anxiety has been going through the roof.  My doctor has tried paxil, celexa, gabapentin, buspar, and about 10 other meds.  I just end up with more anxiety.  

I remembered when I tried Zoloft (another antidepressant) that it worked well for me except I had sever diarrhea.

So, thinking maybe I should be on an antidepressant instead of an antianxiety med I called the pharmacy to see if Mirtazapine would interfere with my buproprion and he said they actually work well together. (NO GIVING ME ORDERS PLEASE)

Last night I took a half (7,5 mg) of my husband's Mirtazapine and slept 10 straight hours.  I can't remember the last time I got such good sleep.  I'm feeling a bit refreshed today.

Anyone else have good results with this med for anxiety even though it's more for depression.

Again, no telling me I should consult my doctor.  I consulted the pharmacist and he said it's O.K.  He's the one I refer to anyway.  Thank you!  

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I take Mirtazapine for my PTSD and have been taking it for about 18 months now.

• Posted

I just read about this drug (Prescribed for major depression).  

But the off label use does include anxiety!  So...if this works for you...I would keep doing what you are doing...using hubbys....and then asking for a script change smile

• Posted

Well, you are not a stranger to me, lol!  I'm going to keep taking it. I feel good today. I read it also helps with alcohol withdrawals so that's a plus! Just wondering if I wanna up the dose tonight or let it be for about a week.

• Posted

Why would you want to up it right now if what you took worked?

Just trying to understand????

• Posted

Haha!  Because I'm off work tomorrow yet and then I go back.  I guess I could stick with the half pill for now.  You're right.

If it's not broke why fix it?  Maybe that's all I'll need.  As long as the anxiety stays under wraps during the day I'll be fine.  Otherwise, I might need to increase the dose!  

• Posted

I see you tried gabapentin did you have bad side effects? And what was your starting dosage? I've tried many too with no improvement or making me worse.i was recently prescribed gabapentin from new psychiatrist

• Posted

Sorry lol I just realize I already talked to you about gabapentin my mistake wasn't paying attention it's still early for me

• Posted

I find it weird that psychiatrists are prescribing Gaba for anxiety BUT..I will tell you it works.  I had to stop all medication a few weeks back because of an interaction.

Gaba was the first one to re introduce per my Dr. and it is prescribed to me for chronic pain and it works....but at the time I was also suffering alot of anxiety and I noticed about an hour after I took the Gaba my anxiety was MUCH better and then I started to google Gabapentin to see if it was indicated to work for anxiety.

And it IS....so it worked on me for anxiety without me even knowing it was used off label for anxiety...and I only took 100g.

I'm prescribed 300mg - 3 x a day....but it was making me gain weight...so I don't take that much.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.