Does anyone take Pilocarpine?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all. I have yet to get some kind of diagnosis to if i have Sjögrens or not. Blood tests were negative. Had lip biopsy about 4 days ago and get the results on 21st of this month.

As I am having awful mouth pain, namely tongue and upper part of palette near my 2 center teeth. I wanted to know does anyone here take Pilocarpine? Does it work? Are there any bad effects from it? I guess we are all different so thats maybe a hard question to ask. But was wondering if it really works.

I've not even been diagnosed but am extremely worried about the daily oral pain i am currently having. So thinking ahead as what could bring me some solid relief for my mouth. Thanks very much all!

C

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Oh my gosh your pain could be from thrush or burning mouth syndrome. If it hurts to eat it is probably thrush if it feels better to eat it is probably burning mouth syndrome. A lot of people including doctors and dentists do not know that you can have thrush without any white splotches. People with dry mouths will often not produce the white splotches that is commonly associated with thrush. There is a treatment for thrush but there is no treatment for burning mouth syndrome.

To answer your question, pillecarpine made me nauseous so I take cevimeline instead.

• Posted

Thx for reply Amko. Ive been checked by dentist and ENT and no one has said anything about thrush so far or BMS. However with a very dry mouth and way less saliva the burning i think is pritty much a no brainer. Think it comes down to the negative saliva factor.

• Posted

HIYA AMKOFFE, try some over the counter artificial saliva or there is many others, .it works for me,,30 years..be blessed.xx

• Posted

I suffered with a case of thrush for 3 years because there was no outward sign. Everyone said it was BMS but i knew they were all wrong. It wasn't until I had a sore on my tongue biopsied and the oral surgeon requested the lab look for fungus. Sure enough, it came back positive. Thrush is common with SS. If it were me I'd ask the doctor to treat it as if I had thrush just to see if it got better. What have you got to lose?

• Posted

Thx very much Am for this additional comment. Wow 3 years!! Can i ask what you ended up getting for that? Antibiotics or? Its hard to localise the pain but for me does seem to be on the tip. I do think its cause of dry mouth and when you speak your tongue gets friction etc. Did they have to cut something from your tongue for the biopsy or? Did what ever medication you got help then?

• Posted

Well yes a biopsy is cutting a little bit of flesh to be tested. In my case it was to test for cancer which I fortunately did not have. This is not used to test for thrush normally. It was only done in my case because the biopsy had to be done anyway. Nystatin is the medication normally used to treat thrush. It is an antifungal. It's an easy treatment, you just swish it around your mouth for a few seconds every day for a few days. It would seem that doing this would at least confirm that it is thrush or tell you and your doctors that it's something else.

• Posted

Started Salagen which i guess is Pilocarpine in Europe. Anything to expect. Was reading it can take 2-4 weeks to kick in. Really hoping this brings me some relief. Do not know what to expect. Taking 5mg x4 per day. Thank you all! =)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.